Ipad 2 WIFI 3-2-1-OFF

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RichyB, Jul 4, 2011.

1. RichyB macrumors regular

Anyone having trouble with their wifi like it's going off whilst holding it in your hand then putting it down to sleep and it comes back on?

2. brdwygurl macrumors regular

I just got an ipad 2 and I have been having problems with it dropping wifi at home. I tried "forgetting" the network and adding it again, as others have suggested and it's still an issue.

3. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

From what I've read, it seems to be routers and not the iPads. I have hiccups occasionally on my Linksys WRT54g and turning the Wi-Fi on and off fixes it.

5. Stefx73 macrumors regular

What frequency (g, n) and What channel (1-11) is your router set to?

6. RichyB thread starter macrumors regular

Does it even matter what frequency etc? It worked fine before on the same router and now it seems like the signal strength is never stable. (Just then it went from a 3 to a 2).

7. jljue macrumors regular

I don't seem to have a problem with this with my AEBS. It is possible that the iPad is more sensitive to interference than the other devices in your home, or it could be an impending sign that your router is on the way to death.

I a similar fashion, we had an issue at the church sanctuary where we sat 2 different 15" unibody MBP's near the FOH sound console, and they would both lose network throughput to where downloads were timing out. After the IT administrator changed the channel for connectivity, all seemed fine.

8. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Frequency and channel matters.
    Maybe a neighbor added a router, wireless phone, etc.
    Most people use channel 1, 6 or 11 on their g frequency. Use a wifi survey software to monitor channel traffic traffic and pick the least used.

I remember having wifi issues a few years ago due to a Panasonic 2.4GHz wireless "broad spectrum" phone. Problem fixed by buying 5.8GHz phones.

Then a neighbor bought a wifi router...I changed my g channel and the problem was fixed.
    Same issue at work...losing signal often...found out there were 12 different wifis in the area. Changed channel, issue fixed.

Expect a portable device like an iPad to be more sensitive to wifi traffic than a more powerful device such as a laptop.

Also, I find 802.11N to be more sensitive/picky than 802.11G, but that could be me.

9. Petal macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem with my iPad 2 wifi connection. So frustrating. I even tried to get software upgrade it rad for the full33 mins then came up with a message advising couldnt get upgrade as wifi connection dropped!!!! I have tried lots of things including reloading wifi but nothing works. iPhone 4 fine no problems. Help please.

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

iPad2 with Dualband AEBS and no problems with the 5GHz network...

11. xraytech macrumors 68020

It's more often than not the routers fault. No "You're holding wrong" or antenna gate conspiracy here.