Ipad 2 - Wifi Fixed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mozartwon, Mar 4, 2011.

1. mozartwon macrumors member

Do you think Apple has "fixed" the many problems people were having
    with the Ipad's wifi, slow connection speeds, staying connected, etc.?

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I havent had any problems with the wifi on mine. What problems have people been having just out of interest?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I didn't know it was broken?

I have not incurred any problems with wifi in my iPad.

4. Mike Reed macrumors regular

I remember there being something about them latching on to DHCP leases and not releasing them back to wireless routers when they were done with them. I hadn't heard anything specific mentioning a fix, but then I haven't really experienced that issue myself.

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Yes, I do remember something about that ages ago. I presumed that it was all sorted out though. Didn't think it was still a problem as haven't heard about it in ages.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Chiming in as well. What problems? I know I've seen the occasional report here, but nothing suggesting anything "widespread".

Since there are many variables in a wifi connection, it is inevitable that some people will have trouble with any device. I don't believe there's justification to think there's any endemic problem with the ipad1.

I try to keep an open mind though, so please post references to the "many problems people were having" so folks on this thread can provide a more concrete response.

7. mozartwon thread starter macrumors member

This has been well documented, see attached link, this is only one of many:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2657404&tstart=15

8. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Most likely the same problem as ALL iMac 27" having a discoloured screen.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'll have to look at it later, the link is showing a "We'll be back soon" for me right now.

How many instances have you seen? Tens? Hundreds? Thousands? I'm curious as to the scope; I've seen a couple mentions here on MR in the last couple months, and although attendance here is a fraction of the 15M units in the field, I would have thought it'd be all over the tech blogs if there was a widespread issue. Even a 0.5% incidence rate (1 in 200) would be 75,000 owners experiencing problems; surely that would gain notice?

In any event, worst that happens is you buy it, have problems, Apple & people on MR can't solve it, and you return within the 14 day return period. Check http://storeimages.apple.com/1816/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-21 but I don't see mention of a restock fee.

10. OSMac macrumors 65816

Fixed may not be the right word, upgraded might be better goal.

The original iPad has a very slow wireless n speed.

Most users have no idea what speed they are actually connecting at.

11. Bag302 macrumors regular

Ipad's wifi is defintely not optimal. I have 25mbps dsl at home and the most the ipad will show is 10mb down. My Asus netbook can get 24+mbps downloads all the time.

Uploads are the same on all of my devices, about 1.7mb

I wonder what the bottleneck is?

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

For what it's worth, just ran the Speedtest.net iphone app on my ipad1 and iphone4 over wifi, also ran it via speedtest.net on both a macbook (wifi) and a PC laptop (wired ethernet).

Results are within spitting distance of eachother; both laptops pretty much hit my ISP's stated speed (6M DSL) and the iphone4/ipad1 were maybe 10% below that. (yes, there's faster available, but it suits my needs so no need to pay more)

Obviously this is one datapoint and not a definitive statement, but perhaps it's useful to someone out there.

13. Davichi macrumors 6502

Now people are just making up stories. Do you own an iPad to prove that this is actually a case?

14. Mitch2742 macrumors member

I remember people were having problems with the WiFi at the very beginning but I thought it was resolved almost immediately?

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This was documented a while ago.

It was the hardware design of the iPad1 and the antenna's inside that made it physically incapable of using Wireless N speeds.

The iPad was Compatible with Wireless N but it was not really a N class device speed wise.

The following is probably not 100% accurate, but from what I read it's because N needs multiple Antenna's to get it's speed. The iPad only had 2, which was it's limitation. Proper N devices like Macbooks had 3 or 4 which meant they were able to take full advantage of the N speed.

We have no idea yet if Apple have improved/fixed this with the iPad2.

Many many people, like you have commented the same that the iPad would not get the same data transfer speed at their other home devices, and this, as I've described above was the reason.

Perhaps it was a batter power issue, or perhaps it was a chip speed limitation issue which made Apple not fit proper N class speed to the 1st iPad.

Until people actually get them in their hands and do tests against the original models we just don't know if they have fixed this.

Apple may just feel it's good enough and does not need to be any faster in this respect.

16. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

While I don't think he's making everything up.... :^)

There was (and perhaps there still is, not sure) an issue where the iPad would get an IP address from the DHCP server on a network, then the iPad would sleep, and when the iPad woke up, it continued to use the same IP, even though it had expired and was even given to another machine.

It was bad behavior to be sure, having duplicate IP addresses in service on a network is bad bad stuff.

17. Davichi macrumors 6502

The issue that was fixed since iOS 3.2.2.
    It was over a year ago and people are still taking about it.

There was a time Motorola Droid X had a screen issue, and no one talked about it much because there was just small number of issues.

People always blow everything out of proportion on apple products. Don't buy it, because I am getting two.

18. mozartwon thread starter macrumors member

I agree, fixed was probably not the correct word to use. I have many apple
    products connected to my wifi (Fios 25/25) and I can tell you my Ipad has the
    slowest connection of all. Apple may have somehow dialed back the power
    on the Ipad receiver to save battery life, not sure.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Note: This has nothing to do with the early "WiFi Problem"

It's the way Apple have built the hardware that was the speed limitation of iPad1 against other Apple products.

Here's a bit more info.

http://www.sniffwifi.com/2010/04/apple-i-love-ya-but-youre-shady-another.html

To put it bluntly, it's not really the speed/spec that Apple quoted in their documentation.

This was iPad1 however, hopefully they have corrected this in iPad2.

20. bigcabdaddy macrumors newbie

New iPad 2 user here. I'm stuck in the dark ages of near dial up speeds... Around 600Kbps down. Is there a way to force g connection to test if that's the culprit? Still wasnt blazing at Starbucks but was around 2x my home speed which was at least usable.

21. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I'm having issues with iPad losing connection I'm sure it has something to do DHCP since after I set static ip address.

22. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Same. I haven't had any problems.

23. Gav$ter macrumors newbie

My 64GB Black wifi iPad 2 appears to have a much faster and more reliable wifi connection than my 32GB wifi iPad 1. I use wifi at home, Starbucks, public libraries, hotels, planes and anywhere else I can connect. I watched a netflix movie streaming over video at Starbucks the other day on my iPad 2 and it didn't take long until I had a crowd of people gathering around just to admire the beauty of it all.

24. Shadywillow macrumors newbie

No actually. I have the new iPad and am having those very connection issues where it does not remain connected to the wifi. It's annoying.

25. Shadywillow macrumors newbie