Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soshjr88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Hey, I got my iPad 2 on Friday and have been loving it so far but for iPad 2 owners, have any of you had an issue with your iPad where it says it has wifi connectivity and doesn't load web pages? I have an iPhone too and my phone constantly has connectivity but my iPad will intermittently stop connecting to the Internet. The only way I've found to fix the problem is to reset the iPad.

Anyway, long story short, has anyone else had problems with their iPad 2 losing connectivity nut still showing it's connected to the Internet.

SIRKGM14vg

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
I am having a similar issue. I too have the 64GB + 3G iPad 2. This issue that I am having is related to when I either navigate from from one wireless access point to another, I have difficulty accessing the Internet. No problem getting connected to WiFi access point or even pulling up the splash page. But simply resolving addresses.

The fix for me is Airplane Mode -> On then off. It automatically reconnects and then I'm good almost instantly.

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Yes, same here. I have the 32GB wifi only. Occasionally it will stop working on all apps. I have found a reboot is the quickest way to fix it. I tried giving static addresses but didn't help. Very annoying. Has happened about three or four times since Friday.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Not sure either, but I noticed that my internet provider throttles the service at different times of the day. Or maybe it is the router handling multiple devices. iPad 1 was ok. iPhone 4 ok. iPad 2 was fine during peak hours. Not sure. It works great now. Don't know.

Shadywillow

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Colorado
I have had the same issue on my 32gb white iPad 2. It's getting pretty old having to reset it all the time. I've heard rumors that Apple may have a fix on the way, but that is just rumor. Not getting rid of it though. As annoying as the problem is, I really love this thing, lol.

Dome head

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
I'm having the same problem. Worked great for 11 days, now I have to reset every few minutes. All my other devices are fine. It is almost unusable now.

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Until there's a fix, you will need to tinker with your wireless router settings. I finally found a setting that works perfectly with the iPad. One thing is to go 20MHz only, and use WEP2 encryption.

Dome head

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Router reboot

i rebooted my wireless AT&T router at 8:45am. ipad started working and is still working at 1:15pm. My problem may have been a router issue, as suggested earlier. Thanks!

karlost123

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
The iPad2 is the only one in my home having connection issue

The iPad2 is the only one in my home having connection issues. I have 2 routers a G & N and neither work well for it. My iPhones work and all my PC's; I had the 1st iPad and that worked no problem. Whats up with that?

smakus

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Newport Beach, CA
Hope this helps somebody...

I had a Belkin router (6 months old, recent model, dual band, 802.11 N, etc.).

Wifi would drop on the iPad 2 every 20 minutes or so, or when changing apps rapidly, etc. Worst experience ever.

I broke down and bought the Apple Airport Extreme router ($179) so the iPad 2 would have 'no excuse' so-to-speak.

I'm both happy (and frustrated) to say that my wifi problems are now GONE. Zero connection issues. Even stupid Bonjour works smoothly. If you are desperate, give it a shot.

Regarding the price tag on the AE…. yeah, it's a lot, but it gives you 3 networks in one. 5ghz (n), 2.4ghz (a,n,b,g), and an extra 2.4 ghz guest network that is separate from your own, so you don't have to worry about inadvertent snooping or viruses, etc. Most other dual-band routers are in the $150 range, so the cost isn't TOO far off-base.

At least that's how i justify it :(

Only con is no apparent SPI firewall (not sure if that is still the case in 2011, but I believe so), but in all honesty, i'd rather trade that for a rock solid wifi + guest network + 5ghz. No more having the microwave slow down my downloads! :)

deluxeh0

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2009
Im having this issue and I've decided to get a new router. Not sure which one but that apple airport one is pricey. I have a cheap AT&T 2 wire at the moment.

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
iPad 2 wifi issue

Before you run out and replace a perfectly good or reasonably so router check what the router is using for a DNS address. I have noted that for what ever reason, every once in a while my router will change the DNS address to the address of the router. You'll never connect to the internet that way, not surfing anyway. Mail may still work incoming, and the LAN all still works, but can't get out to the internet. Once I reset the DNS address manually it seems to stay for a long time. Don't let it set automatically.

The other thing that happens is the local ip address of your devises will change unless you assign fixed addresses in the router to specific wifi devises. For example, at my home there can be my two kids iPhones, the wifes iPhone, the iPad, an iTouch, a Macbook, an ATV2 and a macmini at various times connected to the router. If I left with the iPad and the wife came home, the router would assign the same ip address to her phone as the iPad had. Somehow I think this constant reassigning to devises screws it up. So I assigned all of the usual devices in the house a fixed addrerss in the router. Ever since I did that the router and devise connections have been much more reliable.

I suspect that is why they give you the options in the router. The average Joe needs the auto set up but with a little investigation using the options in the router set up ultimately make it better.

steleven9

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
i've been having a few the last few days. last week was the first time my ipad2 had been out of the house and connected to anything other than my wireless at home. i messed around with my router and changed some settings last night and things seemed to be better. the real test will be when i get home tonight.

restarting it has worked every time.

i'll second the don't immediately replace your router. i also have an att 2 wire and all my other devices are working fine. i even called att last week and did a reset

Ferdiebee

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
ipad 2, ipod touch connectivity problems

Hello guys,
If anyone is having trouble with your ipad or ipod touch connecting to the internet while the rest of the desktop computer has no problem at all, you can try this solution; find out your default gateway from your desktop by looking running cmd on run, then typing ipconfig on the command prompt. this will give you your ip address for the computer but what you need is the default gateway and type that to your ipad under static under router and dns. hope that helps
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.