Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Browsing issue on iPad? What browsing issue? I have used iPad with my safari and I did not encounter many issues. It barely crashed. So, what issue?

Have you tried switching between more than 2 tabs before?

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Yeah, I kinda think Samsung is not involved in the SoC design. They do have something to do with the LCD, but the processor is now done by a subsidiary of Apple themselves.

Samsung still manufactures SoC and provides RAMs. Apple doesn't have its own fab.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
VM hack made the ipad less responsive and I had a lot of freezes using it as well. There's no excuse for not including a gig of ram in the new ipad since memory is CHEAP.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sure, it would make very little difference in cost for Apple to do 1gb instead of 512mb. It isn't about that though. It's about giving you a reason to buy the iPad3 wtith 1gb of RAM when it comes out. That's how Apple operates.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
It is not a memory issue; it is a safari issue.

Atomic web browser seems to handle having 5-6 tabs open without reloadng.

Too bad that Apple integrated safari into the OS so tightly tha it isn't always easy to use another browser (ie hyperlinks in docments open safari instead of whatever web browser you want).

Hmm, that sort of sounds likeMicrosoft and IE....
It is a memory issue, Safari handles the memory warning iOS sends correctly by clearing web pages, Atomic Browser doesn't (although I think there is an option to do that) and will eventually crash.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I don't actually see what memory has got to do with the web browsing rendering speed.

Going back a page, yup perhaps
Multiple tabs, yup, I can see that.

But a blank iPad just loading up one web page, and being slow? I can't see why that's anything to do with memory.
It's do do with WiFi speed, we know the iPad is not a true "N" device speed wise due to aerials inside compared to a macbook.
And the CPU / GPU speeds.
Plus of course the rending engine/code by Apple.

I'd think these were the things that were controlling the speed a single web page appeared on screen, not the Ram.

go to a web page with a lot of images, like a photography forum.

if apple doesn't put 1gb in there, i'm done with the ipad line and will move on to something else. Everyone talks about how apps this and apps that.. you know what I want out of a tablet first and foremost... a good web browsing experience.. yes, with plugins, and fast enough that when I bring up the virtual keyboard to reply to a forum, it doesn't lag.. or autocorrect horribly because it's fallen behind.

The apps are fine, maybe it's because I'm not in my teens though.. they aren't worth owning an ipad for imo considering one has an iphone.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I'm sure more memory would help safari retain more web pages without clearing them and having you reload every time you switch tabs or exit.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Don't you think that 1Gb of memory had something to do with the speed too?

With out a doubt but it is a combination of more RAM and faster processor that gets the job done. The Xoom was snappy !

For some reason the Xoom would/could download the same pages in about 60% of the time the iPad did. Hope this also get into the iPad2.

After using the Xoom, the iPad2 is for me BUT, if someone had not used and got used to the iPad, the Xoom would be very, very tempting!

In many respects the Xoom is more attractive as it is more open and NOT ties to iTunes.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley

if apple doesn't put 1gb in there, i'm done with the ipad line and will move on to something else. Everyone talks about how apps this and apps that.. you know what I want out of a tablet first and foremost... a good web browsing experience.. yes, with plugins, and fast enough that when I bring up the virtual keyboard to reply to a forum, it doesn't lag.. or autocorrect horribly because it's fallen behind.

The apps are fine, maybe it's because I'm not in my teens though.. they aren't worth owning an ipad for imo considering one has an iphone.
Agreed. Apps are much more vital on my iPhone, than on my iPad.
On iPad, it's the core, 1st-party apps, that I use 99% of the time. 512Mb RAM will be sufficiently 'just enough' to keep you wanting more next time, but ideally, 1GB would mean you'd never really have to manually kill apps, and webpages would be held in memory forever.
Realistically, though Apple will ensure that 512MB RAM allied to a CPU/GPU speed increase and software optimisations will be enough.
Oh, and adding proper tabs, is well overdue.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Completely agree! I will move on too. Tired of seeing those checkered pages when scrolling qucking down a web page. Very annoying.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Have you tried switching between more than 2 tabs before?

I did like 7 before. Now, please answer the original question like davichi said. What issue?

I am not sure why people still comparing xoom to iPad here. iPad is a year old device and xoom came out like a week ago.

Also, xoom starts at 800 dollars and ipad starts at 499 dollars.

Choice is very clear unless you have a cash to burn.

Then feel free to spend money on xoom. Tablet price should not even get close to laptop price and 800 dollars is like a laptop price.

I don't care about photographic forum page. iPad is not designed to replace your laptop. You want to move to something else? Feel free.

People who are complaining about iPad's performance should go to xoom then. Enjoy paying extra 300 dollars. I just need wi-fi version and I can tether from my smart phone.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
if apple doesn't put 1gb in there, i'm done with the ipad line and will move on to something else.

That's the biggest problem right now. No one else is offering anything competitive at the iPad's price even after a year. Where else can you find a quality 10"~ screen and a decent CPU for $500? Even the $800 Xoom couldn't match iPad's screen quality and the cheap Archos ones have pretty low quality screens.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Even If I loved my iPad, I sold it two weeks ago. I did because of three things:
  • I got a Macbook Air Ultimate
  • I hated Safari on the iPad. Too much refreshing of pages.
  • The new iPad is soon coming, so now was the best time to sell my old one.

I will probably get the iPad 2, but Apple has to give it at least 1GB. I am afraid it will have 512MB only. Better than before. but not good enough.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I think Apple's strategy is as follows:

iPad2 will come out with 1G RAM to make us buy it with no hesitation, then the iPad3 will come out with retina display, and then we'll be upgrading it once again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.