iPad 2 will be 7" only, according to MSN

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lilcosco08, Sep 20, 2010.

1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/top-stocks/blog.aspx?post=1806219&_blg=1,1806219

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

B.S. in a basket

"Oh let's see, how can we screw up a runaway best seller?"

They will probably add the other size and if it outsells the larger then maybe.

3. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

1 Megapixel!
    Vga camera?

WTF. If your going to fakey post think of something believable :D

4. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I set my brain to ignore as soon as I read the work "analyst".

5. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

If this ended up being true I bet we'd see first-generation prices climb.

6. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Is it possible that there could be another model in the iPad family, and this new model will be 7"? Sure.

Is it possible that there will continue to be only one iPad model and version two of this only model will be 7"? No.

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Oh please! Any reporters with any brain cells left? After owning the market with a 9.7" display which has no competitors yet they are going to abandon that form factor? Really? Anyone heard any owners complain about the size?

Geez, what drivel. :rolleyes:

8. lozpop macrumors 6502

I could see a 7" iPad at a lower price to fight the eReaders and the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but I really don't think that they will remove the 9.7".

9. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Got to agree with the rest of you, replacing the 10" iPad with a 7" iPad just doesn't make any sense. The current iPad is the most successful Tablet ever produced. Why on Earth would Apple make such a radical change to the product when it is already doing well?

Maybe in the long run the small FF will be more successful but that is by no means certain yet. Apple may release a smaller tablet soon to serve that market but I just don't see the sense in betting the whole show on it.

10. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Yea there is no way the new model will ONLY be 7". Apple definitely needs to compete with the smaller tablets being released, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and the current sized model certainly is not "broke."

11. lozpop macrumors 6502

Anyway, MSN if a Microsoft brand... Do you really trust Microsoft about Apple rumors? :p

12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

13. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

I can see that. I love my ipad but it is a little big to take everywhere with me. If the next one is 7 inches I will buy and then take it everywhere.

14. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

So people are choosing to believe what some analyst said on the Microsoft Network blog? Seriously, does no one check to ensure the trustworthiness of a news source anymore?

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Why do some people think Apple would drop the original iPad?

Seems obvious that they'd simply add another, smaller model, to give customers an Apple alternative to all the 7"-ish Android models.

It's like the Goldilocks story. There's always a need for multiple sizes. The right one for you, depends on you.

16. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I'd rather like to see the next iPhone get a small size bump. I'd sacrifice some size to have a fully featured mobile phone rather than having a half featured pseudo tablet in my pocket next to my phone which can do more than the mini tablet can.

17. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

How big of an iPhone would you want? Maybe an extra 1" could be reasonable, but any bigger and we're not talking "pocket-size" for most people.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As I said in the other thread

You can really trust an article which claims

If they can't get basic facts right why are you giving the article any credence at all?

Move on folks, nothing to see here :rolleyes:

19. n2arkitektur macrumors member

n2arkitektur

The article quoted does not imply the gen2 iPad will 'only' be a 7" model. The OP has implied that without any basis. This is all predicated on the rumor that Apple has purchased 7" screens. If Apple released a gen2 10" ipad alongside the new 7", there would be no rumors to support it, because Apple is already ordering as many 10" screens as their factories can manufacture in order to keep up with demand of the existing iPad model.

Apple will release both 7" and 10" models when they release the gen2 iPad.

This thread has offered nothing substantive.

20. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

1" at the very most. 3/4 or 1/2 would be in the Goldilocks zone for me.

21. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

If they release the iPad 2 as 7" only with at the same price point as the 10" model I bet all the people who are desperately waiting for the iPad 2 release will be kicking themselves for not buy the current iPad.

7" iPad is ridiculous.......whats the point??

22. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Compete??? Blah! Apple is supposed to innovate not imitate.

Apple, make a bigger iPod and/or two sizes of iPad if you want, but don't force us to have only 7" iPads.

The current size is perfect. Smaller would be a pain to type on. And also would be too small to read.

Neither size fits in a regular pocket, so it makes no difference to carry one over the other one.

23. Perihelion macrumors regular

I love my iPad at its current size but if anything I'd like to see a bigger iPad. Maybe in the realm of 12" or so. Like it was mentioned above, at 7" you still can't put it in the front pocket of your jeans so if you're going to carry it like a clipboard, you might as well get as much screen real estate as possible. The on screen keyboard in landscape mode on a 12" iPad would be fantastic and watching movies would be really slick...

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Sure seems to be a bunch of negative haters on this thread.. rather amusing. A smaller iPad would be a nice compliment to the Apple product line. Funny how many seem to get so emotionally distraught.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As I've said from day one (even before day 1 actually!)

I want to see a LARGER iPad.

If you want to use a small device on the move use an iPhone or iPod Touch.

The iPad, whilst can be used on the move really excels at home or in the office.

Once you get past pocket size then why even try to make it pocket size.

Sure, make a cheaper 7" model fine.

But how about a 12" model for home users who want a more relaxed viewing and playing display.

Widescreen please, and it won't hurt current apps.

Just make it 768 pixels high, but more pixels in the other direction.

Old apps can run with a boarder on two sides but fill the screen in the other 768 direction, and then can then have extra pixel space to use if they wish.

I know it won't happen, but does not stop me wanting it :)