iPad 2 With 3G Worth It

Discussion in 'iPad' started by App Downloader, Mar 21, 2011.

1. App Downloader macrumors member

Should I get a iPad 2 with 3G or just get a iPad 2 Wifi Only and buy one of those pocket routers?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....also you get GPS and an accurate clock to boot.:D

4. Decked macrumors member

I was also wondering this.
    I have an iphone that can tether so could I just do this? I'll always have my phone on me. But how fast is it? Does anyone notice it being slower when tethering?

5. FutureStan macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1, infact GPS is the only reason why im getting the 3g!

6. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

Had the origian iPad 3G from launch and never used 3G once. I was amazed at how many places had WiFi.
    As for GPS - again, never needed it once while I had the original iPad.
    Going WiFi only this time around.

7. kilidar macrumors member

I havent tried it yet but would assume the bottlenck will be the 3G connection not the wifi, so the ipad will not feel any slower than if it had the 3g sim.
    I have a 3G ipad 1 and have used 3G a dozen times.
    Think I will save £100 noy hetting the wifi version and finding what fone has the best battery performane when tehered and getting that soon. £100 for 3g chip thats not even HSPA+ let alone 4G is a lot.

I am after a phone that is best at tethering, that can be eabled withou the teloc's say so, basicaly 3g/4g router small enough to put in pocket with goot battery life. Any suggestions?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you need network access all the time? Basically if you need the coverage, I can't help but see the wisdom of buying the 3G model and only dealing with a single device.

If however you have a laptop and an iPad and want to ensure both have network access when there's no wifi then yeah a Mifi device will make sense at that point

It may also be cheaper to use your iPhone as a personal hotspot as well.

9. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

You'll never know it's true worth until you need to access the internet but can't.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

This board is many things, but a Ouiji Board is not one of them. Unless you tell us how you will use your iPad and what other WiFi devices you have and how you use them it's impossible to advise you what your best option is.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Wise words!

How can WE make this choice for you?

YOU got to decide!

I have always owned the 3G version and it was worth every penny while on vacation.

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

If you already got a Smartphone that can tether (and you're possibly already paying for a tethering plan), i would recommend sticking with a WiFi model.

13. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I had a 3g 1st Gen Ipad , but when I ordered the Ipad 2 I ordered Wifi only and tuned on Personal Hotspot on my Iphone 4, for the extra 6 bucks a month I get double the amount of date from 2 to 4 gb and the ability to use it with my Macbook Air and other Wifi devices too.

14. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I ordered a 3G version but I think my use case is a little unique. I'm going to be using the iPad as an alternative to a cell phone. I have an iPhone 3G but for the lowest data/voice plan, plus text it was still $100 a month so I canceled it. I use skype for my phone now and the only two problems I have are:

1. With no multitasking on the iPhone 3G, I have to have the skype app open to make/receive calls.

2. With no 3G service, I can only make/receive calls where there is wifi. This isn't bad at home/work, but when out and about it becomes annoying (stopping at starbucks, banks, etc just for wifi is sketchy sometimes, especially late at night)

So for me, having the 3G iPad 2 means I can make/receive calls like a normal cell phone (using a headset) since I'll have it with me pretty much anywhere I go. Ya it's a little cumbersome, but it's cheaper than pretty much any other option and allows me to do things like GPS/maps in the car, pandora on the go, etc. So for me it's a no brainer.

It really depends on why you would need data outside of your home/work, how often you'd need it, how common wifi is around you, do you have an iphone with personal hotspot, etc. I live in one town, work in another, and my friends each live in separate surrounding towns, so 3G is much more convenient.

Don't forget, if you're primarily using data on just the iPad, there's no fees for starting/stopping service, whereas with something like a mifi, there is (generally around $36 I believe)

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

^This. I can tether with my iPhone for internet, but the GPS passthrough that's been discovered isn't as accurate because of a slow reporting time.

16. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Get 3G for functionality and ease of use.

I was wondering the same and in the end went with 3G for a few reasons. After having the WiFi only iPad 1 I did feel a lost some functionality. I did not want to use my iPhone (legally or illegally) due to the battery drain nor by a third device to tote around and keep charged. So in the end I went AT&T 3G for me and Verizon 3G for the wife. Mostly becuase I just could not find her an AT&T one but in the end I think having one of each should ensure us coverage just about where ever we go. :)

17. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

I think having the ability to use your iPad on the go away from Wi-Fi is very useful. I had a Wi-Fi only iPad 1 and despite having an Airport Express (the pocket router you speak of) the limitation were annoying. Instead of going the 3G route though which is $130 extra at purchase and $25 a month service I instead just got tethering on my iPhone for $20 extra which is a savings of $190 or more in some case a year. Works GREAT.

18. aleni macrumors 68020

i use personal hotspot of my iphone 4 to tether it to my ipad 2, it's working great and i dont have to pay another plan for the ipad too!!

19. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Had a 3G iPad 1 with not just one 3G plan, but two (because of frequent traveling between countries). After maybe 2-3 months of that hogwash, I wisened up and realized that I hardly ever used 3G. In the places where I did need 3g, I always just used my iPhone instead.

And that was all back when there was no personal hotspot on the iPhone. Now that there's personal hotspot, there's even less of a need for a 3G iPad.

20. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

IF you have an iPhone. That seems to be the key thing for most people.

Have an iPhone 4? get wifi ipad
    Don't have an iPhone 4? get 3g iPad.

Also, don't forget people, If your 3G comes from the iphone then you only have that much battery life (which will be much less than the iPad)

21. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Not worth it if you'll have this problem like others have Backlight Bleeding

22. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 and got a 3G iPad for the following reasons:
    - Tethering is $20/month on AT&T (I don't want to jailbreak). 250MB iPad plan is $15/month. I have 3G for only-when-needed so the $15/month for 250MB should be enough for my needs, and I only pay for it when I need it.
    - Tethering drains the iPhone battery.
    - Ease of use (just need my iPad out, not my iPhone, too).
    - Regretted getting the WiFi-only iPad 1. It's nice to have data anywhere, anytime when I'm travelling.

23. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I've actually switched my opinion on this issue. Right now, I have a 32 GB wifi only ipad 2. I was thinking, "I rarely use 3g, not going to be a big deal, and I can just tether using my unlimited iphone data plan when I need it."

Well, AT&T is apparently cracking down on unauthorized tetherers. Additionally, it's a bit of a pain in the ass to have to enable/disable tethering whenever I am out of Wifi (not often, but sometimes).

So, I'm on the hunt for a 32 GB AT&T. Purchased an unlimited data plan off of ebay.

Do I think 3g is necessary? Not at all. I love my iPad 2, even without 3g.

But I think it'll definitely be nice to have. I underestimated the seamlessness of having the 3g built in.

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I had an iPad 2 with WIFI only before reverting back to the original iPad 3G and tethering with the iPhone definitely took a toll on the battery. I prefer a 3G iPad over a WIFI iPad anyday, but it's all personal preference though.

25. huskerchad macrumors regular

I have an iPad 2 that is wifi-only. I think I will be happy with this choice. I had an iPad 1 that was 3G and I didn't think it was worth it, given that I could tether through my phone.

If I didn't have the phone, and had to buy a separate device along with a data plan for it, I would just get the 3G model. You aren't saving much if anything by going with a separate device in that case.