iPad 2 with dead pixel. What should I do?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JasonHD, Apr 30, 2011.

1. JasonHD macrumors regular

Dead pixel about 1 cm from the top, closest to the camera. Very obvious and frustrating. Shall I take it back to apple?

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes

3. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

Will it qualify a replacement do you think? Or is there an acceptable ammount before replacing? This is so annoying. It wasn't there before.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Here is Apple's Official Policy on Dead Pixels, for the iPad it needs to have 3 or more before you qualify for a replacement, but its worth a try to still go in.

[​IMG]

5. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Only one is "within specs" BUT if it's your first exchange, they will gladly exchange it, they did it for me with my Verizon iPad, which I consequently exchanged and then eBay'ed it, in favor of a ATT model <3

6. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

Considering how apple market their products as magical I expect nothing less. I'm taking it back tomorrow and hopefully they will give me a new one for which I feel the magic. I will settle for nothing less. No back light bleeding LCD or yellow tint.

7. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Not trying to thread jack....
    Did Apple recently change their policy? I only had 3 dead pixels on my 17" MBP and got the screen replaced under warranty. This was almost a year ago though.

As far as the iPad goes, I would take it back and see what they say. Dead pixels can be veryyyy annoying.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't know when the Policy changed, but the story from where I got that image from was published in November of last year.

9. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

They are replacing my iPad 2 but they had none in stock so they are ordering me one. Which means another journey back. ARGHHH!!!

10. ethics101 macrumors regular

11. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

lol why?

12. ethics101 macrumors regular

So if you get a scratch or anything you can be rest assured, this is a stop gap before you get your new one :D

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Take it to the Genius Bar. I had the same issue and got a replacement in less than 10 minutes. Didn't even matter that I had managed to scuff the corner of the thing, which means mulligan for me!

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Dead pixels and tint I get. You're just going to have to get used to backlight bleeding a little bit. My Samsung LED does it a bit, and I think my iPad does as well. I can really only tell on a very dark screen in a very very dark room. Otherwise, I have no clue.

15. JasonHD, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

It's ok saying get used to it but everyone is different and I'm sure many would agree... I'm one of those people who can't get use to it. The fact I'm paying top money for what is advertised to be an amazing product, I expect it to deliver and be perfect. Every time I see the dead pixel it aggravates me.. I can't simply get used to it and accept the fact I paid all this money and would have to settle for an imperfect purchase. Luckily the apple genius was good enough to order me a replacement. But that means another journey back to the store. If your the kind of person that can accept those kinds of fault then obviously money must come easy to you.

Haha! Good idea but I'm sure I'm something else will go faulty before then!

16. dulaney22 macrumors regular

:cool: Yeah, a dead pixel is your biggest problem.;)

17. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

iPads fault for trying to correct me.

18. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I finally have an iPad 2 that does something right.

1 . . . 2 . . . 3

The bottom burns a nice bright white on darker colors. I mean bright. The other two stay dark.

[​IMG]

19. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

That's shocking. Take it back!

20. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

You would think tiny pixels would be difficult to see. The that burns bright shines like a star at night.:eek::)

21. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

Apple need to sort there stuff out. It's unreal. Yours is terrible. Don't stand for that!