iPad 2 with iOS 8.2 Performance?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by neteng101, Mar 9, 2015.

1. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I'm too spoiled with my Air 2 to tell for sure, but it feels like 8.2 is an improvement on the old iPad 2 over 8.1.3. I have an old iPad 2 from work that I did upgrade to 8.1.x previously and just tried 8.2 on it.

Trying to decide if its finally safe enough to have my parents update.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I think your parents will be fine. My daughter is pretty in tune with how her ipad 2 works and after the latest update she's content so that's a good sign.

Go for it.... ;)

3. verbage macrumors newbie

iOS 6.1 --> 8.2 upgrade worth it?

Any thoughts about moving an iPad 2 on iOS 6.1 up to IOS 8.2? Yeah, I understand 6.1 is way behind the times, but as this tablet has just been used for light stuff like surfing and checking e-mail, I have not felt the need to upgrade previously. But by now it seems that quite a few apps are only updated for later IOS versions. The Safari reload on tab switch in 6.1 can be pretty annoying so if this is fixed in 8.2, that would be a strong reason for me to upgrade. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a feeling if 8.2 would be way, way slower, or just a bit slower on the iPad 2. Since this tablet is not used heavily anyway, a bit slower wouldn't matter much. But if 8.2 were to turn this into a dog, that would not be helpful. Maybe wait for 8.3? Thanks in advance for any comments you might have!

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Based on comments, impressions, reviews and YouTube videos it's a step back in performance.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have noticed a nice improvement on iPad 3 after 8.2.

However, I believe iOS 6 would still be more desirable for most. Coming from 8.1, I appreciated restoring some pep though with 8.2.

6. oldmacs macrumors 68040

7.1.2 performed very well on the iPad 2 and reasonably well on the iPad 3.. I found it to be very slightly slower than iOS 6 but the features were well worth it.

7. verbage macrumors newbie

Hmmm, thanks to all for your comments! I guess I would happily try 8.2 if I knew I could downgrade, but from all I have read here, downgrades are not supported.

May I ask another question? I recognize that firmware downgrades are only supported through iTunes for the firmwares that Apple is currently signing. This is the "official" path. But isn't there a way to load any arbitrary firmware version on to my iPad using a non-supported mechanism or tool?

Of course, I've seen IPSW archive sites, and basically any firmware IPSW versions are available. Obviously, I can't load too old versions via iTunes, but is there another tool to do this?

Thanks again for your comments!