iPad 2 won't back up

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by boynigel, Mar 30, 2013.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

i'm trying to update from 4.3.5 to current. problems from the get-go. first, no "update" button in my Setting section. so i try to do it from iTunes, but i'm warned to back up first. i do the backup, yet several new apps aren't backing up. someone from another forum suggested-

" If it still won't back up, you may have an app that is preventing the backup from succeeding. To locate which one, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage, tap the name of your device under Backups, under Backup Options tap Show All Apps, then turn them all to Off (including camera roll) and try backing up again."

this doesn't work either because there is no iCloud tab in my settings section. i'm stuck.:mad:

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

dude! i want an ipad 2 on ios 4.3.5! thats sweet!

3. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

so you're either mocking me, or telling me the new version sucks and i should stay where i am. which is it? still, what good is it if i can't back up my apps? just a matter of time b4 disaster strikes and i have no recent backup.

4. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

No im being serious. I really dislike post ios 5.1.1

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Look in his sig, he's a jailbreaking fanatic. That's half the reason he doesn't like the more current software - harder to break

As for your iPad. Honestly what is in the that you need a full itunes backup. You can sync contacts and calendar type stuff yes. You can import your photos yes. Any document based apps you can share to iTunes and copy to computer via file sharing in iTunes yes.

There might be a few game data files perhaps that could be lost meaning you might have to start over from scratch if you can't get a backup to work. But really what else. Unless you have an old emulator app that has been ditched off the store for rules or copyright violation you can redownload the apps for free.

See how much stuff you can 'back up' via simple syncing and imports and now much is left over. Given the jump you are about to make its better if you can to actually restore the iPad back to factory and update it during that and set up as new cause those old settings files can do screwy things to the new iOS version mess with your battery life etc. once you are on the current iOS you can turn on iCloud syncing and backing up so it does that stuff automatically etc

6. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

there is one app in particular that i have 40 dollars worth of stuff within that i will lose if i update without backing up first (as far as i know i'll lose it). syncing saves nothing...at least in my current situation. it's weird, it will say "syncing" or "backing up", i'll even see the stages happening on the progress bar, yet nothing since my last backup backs up.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

What's the app?

Also, how do you know nothing is backing up. Is iTunes saying the back up failed and the last backup was x weeks ago or some such. Or are you assuming it failed cause when you go to something like address book your email addresses etc aren't in there (and won't be if you don't have contacts marked to sync in info which many forget is turned off by default.

8. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

the app is Digitech's Stomp Shop. i know nothing is backing up because right after i back up and go to update the iOS, i get a popup warning saying that i have unsaved apps and that i'll lose them if i proceed w/out doing a backup. plus the fact that the app(s) doesn't show up in iTunes w/the others. so that's TWO confirmations that it isn't backing up.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Those are IAP. Per even the app notes you can reload them at any time. Which is typical of IAP.

That has nothing to do with whether your data is backed up. That is merely that you haven't transferred your purchases to your computer.

10. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

i don't understand. if that's the case, why are all of my other apps visible in itunes, and why is it TELLING ME the apps aren't backed up then?

11. viperGTS macrumors 65816

A backup in iTunes doesn't backup apps and other media. By the way, there isnt an update button on iOS 4.3.5, so you shouldn't be complaining about that. What I suggest doing is right clicking on your iPad in iTunes, and click "restore from backup." Tell us when the most recent backup was. You may have already backed up your iPad.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Your other apps are visible because you did transfer them at some point from your iPad or they were originally bought from the computer. This Stomp whatever hasn't been. IAP aren't apps so they won't be.

If this is all you are concerned about and you have all the other photos, contacts etc you are fine. Wipe the iPad via a restore and update the software. You will be able to get this app from the App Store again and the items you bought from inside the app. I've had every iphone and iPad since they launched, I've dealt with this scads of times.