ipad 2 worth it in my case??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rever3nce, Apr 9, 2011.

1. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

so i am thinking about buying the ipad 2 but at the same time i would like if someone could tell me the benefits in my personal situation. i have a mac book pro and an iphone 4, would it be even better if i had the ipad 2 as well or do you see it as a waste of $500 . i see it both ways . im an average user and im not constantly having to play angry birds or anything like that but there are some times that i wish i could have something like the ipad so i wouldnt have to carry my mac around. and i am in college so does anyone find the ipad beneficial to the college world??

thanks for any suggestions and help !

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

No. iPad is not an essential item for a college student. It's still a luxury consumer device.

Unless you have the heavy 17 in MacBook pro. A 13 inch pro only weighs 4.5 pounds and 15 in weighs 5.6 pounds. You should be able to carry your MacBook around.

The iPad cannot replace even a netbook for a college student.

If you have money than by all means get the iPad. But if money is tight save your money or just get a cheap netbook for quick computing needs.

3. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

in your case, the iPad 2 would just be for luxury.

You have everything you need.

Anyways I'd still buy one for fun :D

4. rever3nce thread starter macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

hmm this is making me now wanna buy one lol . they are still pretty damn sweet though i must say

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I use mine for taking notes in class and doing web research, as well as fun. You don't need one but for me it was a nice addition to my electronic collection.

6. rever3nce thread starter macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

it is very nice but i might just save some money till then . and maybe ask for some money for my bday or something. its nice and everything but if its not doing me all that good i cant see my self dropping 500 bucks on it just like that

7. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

Hmm...to me the iPad 2 in your situation would be a luxury which if you can economically afford it, okay. But if not, forgo it. You already have an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Pro. You can save the money for another year or two.

8. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I can't see myself taking extended notes on the iPad 2 unless I bring along a bluetooth keyboard. I just type way faster on a physical keyboard than I could on a touchscreen keyboard. Touchscreens offer no tactile feedback.

9. rever3nce thread starter macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

i need to troll the forums on making my macbook pro a little better with some aps or something . seems like all i do is safari lol . but i love my mac . and i play battle bears haha :D

10. rebubula macrumors newbie

It depends I just got one and the only way I justified it in my mind was for school. I have to read tons of long PDFs on top of the fact most of my etextbooks are viewable from the companies app. So will this make my life easier, hell yes, is it nesscessary and will it replace my laptop in class anytime soon, probably not.

11. princealyy macrumors regular

IPad is basically a luxury item for just about everyone. Some people to find q good use for it but it is just that a cool gadget. Lots of great apps and useful tools to kill some time.

12. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I take notes on my iPad in all my classes. Very beneficial. Make sure the first thing you do is buy the DocsToGo app. It lets you create word/excel etc. documents on your ipad/iphone and transfer them to computer. It's great.

13. EnterTheSwamp macrumors member

Do you find yourself using the iPhone for non voice calling activities at home? If so then the iPad is for you. It won't replace a computer, but it is for the times that you want to use your iPhone to surf the web, or other things.

14. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

As a student myself, I've found it very useful indeed to keep all my pdf's in one handy place - it's saved me a LOT of money on ink for my printer, let alone the ability to use Pages / VPN / Exchange email...

The truth is a lot of people who buy the iPad have no need for it at all - it's a toy to them, or a fashion accessory. However, for professionals, students, businessfolk and anyone with a productivity agenda, it's a very useful tool. People who don't need to work in this way will NEVER understand this, so don't worry about it.

I would say nobody 'needs' an iPad, but in your case it may very well enhance your day-to-day productivity in ways that will be felt most sharply when your iPad is taken away.

15. bmat macrumors 6502

I'm no longer at school, but did 7 years of college and grad school. If I was still in school I would probably have a desktop and an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard, and take notes, etc in class or use an 11 inch air. For things like notes, an iPad works pretty well with a small bluetooth keyboard.

But if I already had a MacBook pro that I didn't mind taking to class with my text books, then I wouldn't get one.

16. rebubula macrumors newbie

Exactly bmat, my sisters entering her freshman year of college this fall and was considering getting a MacBook pro. But considering she's such a light user I'm suggesting getting a minimac and iPad with a keyboard folio.

17. 2ndname macrumors member

When I was in college I was sporting the 12" Powerbook G4. That was really all I needed for note taking and etc. Since you already have an iPhone 4 AND a Macbook, I say that you're good to go. Having an iPad IMHO is a waste of $500 that can be better spent elsewhere, especially since you're a college student. You have the portability and power of the Macbook. When you are on the go and want some to do some light gaming, picture taking, movie watching just use your iPhone.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Op, I would say you don't need an iPad, but it might marginally improve your productivity in some ways.

I also have a MacBook pro and an iPhone (also a Kindle). The iPad is basically a much easier way to search a database system we use for law school and it will help me when I need to work on larger projects where having the iPad do one thing and the MacBook pro do another will be greatly advantageous. The iPad is easier when you have to heavily interact with your materials but not type heavily.

I also plan on using my iPad to browse the web in bed and watch Netflix in bed or while cooking. My MacBook pro is nice, but the iPad is a lot easier for those things. Yes, it is a luxury, but when I have to spend twice as much per year on textbooks (and 80 times as much on tuition), the luxury seems worth it.