IPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tunahunter, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Tunahunter macrumors newbie

i bought my iPad 2 in 2011, it cost a fortune and I've always trusted the upgrades recommended by Apple. I'm on 9.3.5 I think. The machine is a sad reflection of what it was, it's so slow and unpredictable that I just think I should throw it away. Are there any magic bullets?

2. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I am afraid not. The iPad Air 2 is still great and runs well with 2gb's of ram. You can get them cheap too.

3. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

The original software is optimized for the original hardware. Modern software cannot run happily on ancient hardware. I strongly suspect it is part of the manufacturer's business plan to encourage customers to upgrade their software, knowing that it will make their original hardware cease to function satisfactorily.

4. bufffilm, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Best you can do is erase and set it up as a new device...do not restore or bring over anything from the prior installation.

The biggest hit from putting later iOS versions was the browser. And next time, be more judicious when it comes to upgrading.

Did you really think an idevice with only 512mb RAM would continue to run later iOS well? Just a dream...

My iPad2 is fine on iOS 7.x...purchased in 2011 just like yours.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Our household still uses an iPad 2 and an iPad Air 2. There is, indeed, a night and day difference.

6. Tunahunter thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2017 ---
    Thanks Reno. I would buy an Air 2 but wonder when that will be abandoned as well

Cheers

7. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

Downgrade your iOS. You will gain some performance back.

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Not possible to downgrade if Apple isn't signing the older version anymore.

iOS 9 came out in Sept 2015 so the time to downgrade is long long past.

9. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

I think there is a pattern developed here. Let's say ipad 2 gets ios 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. But realistically, the last two updates are to slow down your ipad while adding very minimal benefits. So you would have been better off staying with 6 or 7. Now it's all too late.

10. greensalad macrumors regular

greensalad

If all of the content you want to keep is in the cloud (iCloud music library, iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Drive...), do an Erase all content and settings.

Once restarted, switch off settings such as: 5-finger gestures; motion; any iCloud account options you don't need to have on.

Perhaps other forum users can add to that list.

11. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I think it is good for another two iOS cycles. However you can get it and not upgrade it.

12. now i see it macrumors 65816

You've learned your lesson like we all did. Don't go beyond one or two iOS revision beyond which the device ORIGINALLY shipped with.

Dont waste your time reinstalling from scratch. iOS 9 is a dog on the ipad2. I gave my ipad2 away to a newb. iOS 9 killed it.

13. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Yeah, a little bit sad. That is the way of things, though.

If you want innovation, new features, and progress, then obsolescence, planned or not, is a consequence of that. No point in blaming Apple, really. If we compare their official support for older devices to other players in the mobile realm, Apple are going to compare very favorably to anyone else, every time.

The iPad 2 was the first proper iPad, and lasted a long time! We had 2 fully updated and running models until 2015, so got 4 solid years out of them before we sold them, got $95 each for them, not bad. Seems you did even better!

Air 2 was the real successor to the 2 IMHO, and will have a similar productive life span. At this point, I would say hold on until the next one comes though, probably now in March. If the non-"pro" 9.7" iPad gets the current pro's internals at a reduced price, that would be the way to go as a direct replacement for your 2.

Plus there will be more options than ever if you want to go "pro" or try a different screen size...

14. nordique, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

nordique macrumors 6502a

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I wager that the current crop of iOS devices, the 64 bit crop, will run smoothly on future iOS updates (much more so than previously; better quality longevity). CPU performance has increased to the point where it is capable of running Apple's modern iOS features. The main limiting factor will be RAM, rather than actual processing power.

With iPads now clocking in around computer performance, they should last longer than they have historically

We can already see this with the iPhone 5s -> on iOS 10, it is still very fast and functional. it came out with iOS 7, then had 8, and 9. Its on it's 4th iOS version now, and has barely slowed down. Even the iPhone 5 runs great on iOS 10. The 4s became very slow on it's 5th upgrade, whereas the 5 is still very useable (i.o.w. its much more useable on iOS 10 than the 4s was on iOS 9)

Pretty impressive support, and to further the point, even though the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s struggle on iOS 9, are still useable. They perform well enough that you can still open up Safari or Messages or the Phone app/Facetime and use them, slower yes but you can use them. The iPhone 4 hit that performance wall with iOS 7, and that was only one gen prior to the 4s. The iPad 1 hit that wall well before the iPad 2/3.

The iPad 4 and iPhone 5 may stop receiving support sooner than later, but they didn't hit the same performance wall after their 5th supported iOS.

And the A7 devices are 2x as powerful as those; they should be buttery smooth for a while to come. RAM is the main sticking point against future functionality, I would argue. The difference between an iPad 2 and an iPad Air 2 is incredible, and iOS hasn't changed significantly so since iOS 7. If anything Apple has actually improved efficiency esp with iOS 9, and the new limiting factor is RAM.

We have not yet seen how long iOS devices can last in this current 64-bit era because of the massive processing gains that were made in the last several years, and we still compare them to the older crop of devices such as A4, A5 products that became slow later in life (but were much, much less powerful than the current crop of iOS products)

15. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

This pretty much sums it all up.

I imagine in a couple of years, ARM chips will no longer be able to give us the huge % increases in performance like we're used to. Therefore, it's very likely future iOS devices will be much more functional in their last iOS version than the iPad 2's.

16. Tunahunter thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---
    What a great forum this is. Thank you bufffilm; I'll have a go at down grading to one of the 7 releases - any idea which one would be the best?

Best wishes

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You can't downgrade...best you can hope for is to wipe and reinstall. For the browser, use Puffin. They have a free version if you are cheap and don't want the paid version.

18. Painten macrumors newbie

Painten

19. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I've found a clean install works well. Try not to turn on a lot of settings, keep notifications to a minimum and turn off background app refresh. Sometimes turning off trznparnacy and motion can help.

I still find my iPad 2 useful, I think Safari is hopeless though in iOS 9.

20. Painten macrumors newbie

Painten

U can jailbreak iPad 2 even on 9.3.5 by downgrading. iPad 2 is one of the only models that allow non jail broken models to downgrade. Google the tutorial. Once jail broken u can Then over clock it, all sorts and u can load any app u want so no worries there. P.s u can load any iOS on after, even non signed

21. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Yes, it is possible to downgrade the ipad2.

Haven't needed to try it, but it is not as easy as it sounds. Perhaps someone who's has actually done it can shed some light/pointers/etc.

My recollection is that you have to be jail-broken first in order to load the tools to permit the downgrade.

22. B74A macrumors member

B74A

I also have an iPad2, still on iOS 8.4.1.

I came here to find out if upgrading to iOS 9.3.5 is going to make it any faster.

Seems not. On the contrary! So despite already being quite sluggish on 8.4.1, I will keep that and see if I can disable certain features. I have some apps that aren't available for me if I upgrade (something about accounts and that), so I have to keep it as it is - for now. If I could have downgraded from iOS 8 to iOS 7, I would even have done that, but I will stick to the "if it ain't broken ..." theorem for now.

When I didn't upgrade from iOS 8 to 9, it was from bitter experience with my iPhone 3Gs. And my dads, and one daughter. Three phones near useless, so slow it some times took a minute with the passcode after switching on - before it would accept input.

I do like Apple devices, but this is one of the mean sides of the big A:

Pushing updates onto older devices which makes them WORSE than they were originally.

The recommendation to stick to maximum one iOS beyond the original is useful. Having said that, the most recent step in iOS, I refused to upgrade my iPhone 5 and 5S. It kept nagging me several times a day - just when I needed my phone. Do you want to upgrade now or later? NO, shut up, I DON'T WANT this upgrade.

Finally I gave in and now both my iPhones have latest iOS, and my Macbook has Sierra. So now I lost a lot of notes, on an account that didn't sync. Now Notes can only work with the primary account - and I have to go back to some backup to hopefully recover those notes that were there locally - and not in the cloud.

So one day, both my iPhone 5 and 5S will be useless as well, on whatever iOS 11, 12, 13 .... or whatever it takes for Apple to kill them. Because they want to make MORE MONEY by selling me a new phone. Bad Apple, BAD APPLE!

Final rant: The lightning cables to charge iOS devices. I am certain now that Apple purposely lets third party cables work "for a while", then start making trouble after a certain time. That way, you can test the third party cable in the shop, take it home and only after a few weeks the phone starts to claim something is wrong with the cable.

It's a brilliant way to make users hate non-original third party stuff. But imagine all the cost Apple goes through to develop this, including installing small chips into cables - just because they must make all money of something as silly as a cable! All other manufactures use USB cables which can be interchanged and work well, regardless.

Rant over.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    And in response to that last post I made - since my iPad2 is still on iOS 8, it magically has all those notes that the OSX Sierra just killed! I know they are NOT in the cloud, only on my iPad 2 locally.

One mistake I made was to have a separate iCloud account for my iOS devices, and the original on my Mac. The Mac address is still used for App purchases on all devices (iTunes account) while the devices themselves have a newer account. I don't know why I got a new account at some stage, but I do remember it was related to some previous iOS upgrade.

23. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

Agreed with you 100%. That's the sad thing about being an Apple customer. So many times I heard people saying 'My iphone battery drains so fast than a year before, hence I need to get a new iPhone.' or 'My previous iphone ran so slowly with the newest iOS update, hence I need a new iPhone.'

In either case, Apple won. You thought you have rectified an old problem only to go through the same cycle again with the new iOS device.

24. B74A macrumors member

B74A

Although almost off-topic, it's really not. Because all these downgrading desires are most of the time due to just that: Apple deliberately offering (or even nagging) to update to something they know will almost brick the phone. Let's call it snail or turtle the phone. In reality, most iOS devices are close to useless if you keep updating them.

What Apple could have (should have) done is stopping updates to older devices at an earlier stage - or at least make it an option with a warning, rather than a recommendation to update.

My iPad 2 has that little "1" on the the settings icon, reminding there is iOS 9.3.5 waiting for me. Well, that little "1" will remind me to be careful NOT to update.

No fruit is perfect, and this part of the Apple has a rotten dent. Jobs would turn in his grave if he knew.

25. FeliApple macrumors 6502

I agree with what has been said endlessly. Fine if you don't want to let users downgrade, but don't be so annoying to update. I have both my iPad and my iPhone on iOS 9 and the daily pop ups are annoying. They should give me the chance to at least stay on earlier versions without bothering me, if you don't want to let me downgrade.