Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I have an iPad air 1 thats not doing too well, I am looking into a $150 trade in value at BestBuy to lower the cost of an iPad (iPad pro is on sale for 599 for 128 gb also), should I go for the iPad pro 9.7 128 gb or the new 2017? I'm torn because will I notice a difference using it? Which one will have longer support?

I'm hoping to grab an iPad before my Hawaii trip in the next few weeks.

Reactions: gobikerider

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I have an iPad air 1 thats not doing too well, I am looking into a $150 trade in value at BestBuy to lower the cost of an iPad (iPad pro is on sale for 599 for 128 gb also), should I go for the iPad pro 9.7 128 gb or the new 2017? I'm torn because will I notice a difference using it? Which one will have longer support?

Go go go new iPad missions

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

If you don't have an appreciation for the Pro features with the quad speakers, Apple Pencil support, Tru-Tone display and quad speakers, then the iPad 9.7 with the A9 would likely meet your needs.

It really depends on what you plan on using the iPad for. But at the current price for this new iPad, you could even pick up some additional accessories with the money saved over the Pro. But, the Pro has its clear advantages as well.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
The Pro has a really incredible screen. I also have two Air 2s, and the difference is noticeable. Also, the Pro speakers (4) are MUCH improved, so unless the 2017 iPad got a speaker boost, I'd say Pro, all day long.

Reactions: dominiongamma

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
The Pro has a really incredible screen. I also have two Air 2s, and the difference is noticeable. Also, the Pro speakers (4) are MUCH improved, so unless the 2017 iPad got a speaker boost, I'd say Pro, all day long.
Yeah, and the true tone display, and the better FaceTime camera too, since I FaceTime a lot with friends and family.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The question here is will you regret not waiting for the latest model if ever Apple does release a new iPad Pro this year?

If there's no regrets, then the Pro 9.7 is definitely a much better upgrade. Also, that $599 for 128GB Wi-Fi is $150 lower than launch pricing. Coupled with the $150 GC for your iPad trade-in, that makes upgrading from a 3.5 year old model very reasonably priced.

Reactions: profets

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
The question here is will you regret not waiting for the latest model if ever Apple does release a new iPad Pro this year?

If there's no regrets, then the Pro 9.7 is definitely a much better upgrade. Also, that $599 for 128GB Wi-Fi is $150 lower than launch pricing. Coupled with the $150 GC for your iPad trade-in, that makes upgrading from a 3.5 year old model very reasonably priced.
People can wait for the latest and greatest forever, something will always be on the horizon.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
People can wait for the latest and greatest forever, something will always be on the horizon.
True but there's a difference when that something on the horizon arrives in just 1-3 months time versus at least half a year or more if buying newly released tech immediately. Personally, I prefer buying Apple products immediately upon release. Either that or immediately after some deep price cuts after new product has been announced. Either method maximizes useful life of tech for me. For the most part, I look at TCO and amortized cost. :p

*sigh* Upgrading used to be easier when Apple had a more predictable release schedule. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I mean iPad Pro is such a superior device in every way. So if you have the money go with that.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I was going to purchase the 9.7 pro 128 gb and Best Buy isn't selling any online it seems.

Update:guess it's back now

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.