Resolved iPad 2017 screen cracking sound.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
So my 2017 iPad is a few weeks old. Yesterday I picked it up. Thumb on screen below camera and fingers on back.

I heard a clicking/cracking sound. All is well tho. Screen, camera works fine however it perked my interest.

Pushing down around the camera area and below it on the screen gives a click noise. I chatted to apple and have an appointment tomorrow.

Checked my wife's iPad Pro and it is solid REALLY solid. She has the 9.7.

Anyone else? Test at you discretion as I wouldn't want damage to occur. Is it the old Air gap screen?

Contemplating swapping to the Pro now...

Thanks.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
So my 2017 iPad is a few weeks old. Yesterday I picked it up. Thumb on screen below camera and fingers on back.

I heard a clicking/cracking sound. All is well tho. Screen, camera works fine however it perked my interest.

Pushing down around the camera area and below it on the screen gives a click noise. I chatted to apple and have an appointment tomorrow.

Checked my wife's iPad Pro and it is solid REALLY solid. She has the 9.7.

Anyone else? Test at you discretion as I wouldn't want damage to occur. Is it the old Air gap screen?

Contemplating swapping to the Pro now...

Thanks.
My thoughts are two things:

1.) Either its the airgap as you mentioned, with the lack of laminate display.

2.) Or, the display is not seated properly with the adhesive separating slightly where you are pressing.

Reactions: iSheep5S

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
So you and your wife have the same 2017 ipad?
No, as posted she has the 9.7 Pro.
[doublepost=1494698264][/doublepost]Just an update. Tested and replaced. The guy at the Genius Bar said it was the first return/exchange of an iPad 2017. Happy days. :) He had to go through the back to hear it an even tested the replacement. All good. :)

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
No, as posted she has the 9.7 Pro.
[doublepost=1494698264][/doublepost]Just an update. Tested and replaced. The guy at the Genius Bar said it was the first return/exchange of an iPad 2017. Happy days. :) He had to go through the back to hear it an even tested the replacement. All good. :)
So the new one is good now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.