iPad 2018 is it a good purchase?

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
hi guys,

Anybody have a iPad Pro 10.5 and the new iPad 2018.. is it a worthy purchase? Was looking to get another iPad for surfing and traveling... while i use the iPad Pro for working... and i m on the fence with Face ID. Is it a good buy ?

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
I have both the 10.5 and the 11 inch pro and I’d say its not worth it to upgrade. There’s a few “meh. That’s kinda cool” features with it but its not exactly a mind blowing experience. The way you use it will probably be the exact same with few if any improvements whatsoever. After you get over the “hey Face ID is so cool” kinda thing, everything else feels the same. Speed, the screen looks exactly the same, same battery life, same...everything for the most part. If i could go back in time and tell old me whether to upgrade or not, i’d Probably say “its cool. But its not $1,000 worth of cool. Let the cool upgrades happen when you upgrade eventually years down the line. You don’t need it right this second”

Reactions: bhodinut

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
I have both the 10.5 and the 11 inch pro and I’d say its not worth it to upgrade. There’s a few “meh. That’s kinda cool” features with it but its not exactly a mind blowing experience. The way you use it will probably be the exact same with few if any improvements whatsoever. After you get over the “hey Face ID is so cool” kinda thing, everything else feels the same. Speed, the screen looks exactly the same, same battery life, same...everything for the most part. If i could go back in time and tell old me whether to upgrade or not, i’d Probably say “its cool. But its not $1,000 worth of cool. Let the cool upgrades happen when you upgrade eventually years down the line. You don’t need it right this second”

You said it perfectly until the iPad Pro gets Final Cut Pro and full photoshop app on it. There’s no reason for me to upgrade... if it’s a pro device i have to be able to run pro apps on it...

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
hi guys,

Anybody have a iPad Pro 10.5 and the new iPad 2018.. is it a worthy purchase? Was looking to get another iPad for surfing and traveling... while i use the iPad Pro for working... and i m on the fence with Face ID. Is it a good buy ?
I love mine well worth the upgrade from my 10.5 pro but I wanted the bigger screen so I can use this at work with the keyboard

AutomaticApple

macrumors 68000
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
hi guys,

It’s definitely worth it. The A12X bionic, Face ID, a whole new redesign, and much more!

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
I think I'm going to wait (I have a 2017 12.9" Pro).

At the end of the day, the "newness" of the 2018 model would wear off quickly, and I'd be using it to do exactly the same things I do with my current iPad.

I've also got concerns about the rigidity of the casing giving the multiple "bend" reports (we'll know more about how prevalent this is over time).

Then of course, there is the price. If I could sell my 2017 for a decent amount and upgrade to the new model for a reasonable chunk, I'd probably do it for the redesign. But the prices on these new units is really just too high. And resale on the older models is poor. I can put that money to good use for a bunch of other things.

Again, at the end of the day, it's an iPad and I've already got a great one. This new one doesn't actually DO anything different.

Reactions: bhodinut