All iPads iPad (2018) vs 10.5 Pro (2017; 9.5" 2016) for reading and video streaming?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Love Divine, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Love Divine macrumors regular

Love Divine

Looking to buy an iPad, and intrigued by the 2018 iPad given its price point. I have a 15" MBP w/ TB and an iPX. I've never owned one before. I would use it for:

- Reading PDFs, eBooks (easier to carry, bigger screen and split screen vs my MPB and iPX respectively)
    - Streaming video
    - Not super interested in pencil (maybe In future) or smart connector keyboards

Pro Motion and added screen size seems really nice, but otherwise, the 10.5 Pro doesn't seem worth the massive premium over the 2018 iPad, which can be had for $300... I also thought about springing for a 2016 Pro, or waiting until the 2018 Pros are announced to get a cheaper 2016/2017 Pro (used, refurbished etc).

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

For your intended uses I think the 2018 base iPad would be fine. Its got some worthy performance bumps with the processor & other stuff over the 5th gen unit. Also, the difference in cost between a refurbed 2017 model and a new 2018 model wont be that significant, I dont think anyways. The pencil is take it or leave it for most people but you dont have to buy it if you wont use it. :)

3. aneftp macrumors 601

iPads are always on sale. I picked up brand new iPad Pro 10.5 64gb WiFi for $490-495 from Target ($505 after taxes with my 5% red card)

iPad Pro 10.5 has 4gb ram and 4 speakers. It’s loud. I also
    Have iPad Pro 9.7 cellular and 4 speakers are loud

I got 2017 iPad WiFi (5th gen as well)

iPad Pro 10.5 is the fastest but for every day basic use. U likely won’t notice the difference.

So get the cheapest one and never pay full price.

4. Starfia macrumors 6502a

Starfia

If that's what you care about, I really don't think the gains justify the premium – all iPads have always been excellent for reading and video, back to the first one. The only staggering improvements for reading and video streaming have been the Retina display (added in 2012) and the significant decrease in weight over the years (if you hold the device when reading).

A refurbished iPad Air 2 or iPad 5th generation would exceed your needs and serve you well for years while still keeping you frugal. The 2018 iPad brings the nice newer processor and might keep up with future OS upgrades better for a little longer, if you plan to keep it as many years as possible.

5. Love Divine thread starter macrumors regular

Love Divine

Can get a new 10.5" Pro for 450, or a new 2018 iPad for 280. At those prices, this is a more interesting comparison.

The better speakers, more RAM, more storage, promotion/laminated screen is tempting for a ~170$ difference (as opposed to 2x the price or 320$ difference)

6. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I would definitely go for the Pro at that price, but I'm a big fan of the apple smart keyboard... It's basically a must for me in future purchases.

7. rui no onna, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Still a tough call considering that's still around 60% higher pricing. Personally though, I'd be inclined to go for the Pro 10.5. I find RAM management notably worse on iOS 11 and the cost differential is something I'd be willing to pay for the extra RAM and storage.

8. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Yep. At that price difference, the 2018 doesn’t make sense if you can afford either one. The 2018 is a fantastic iPad for the price, but the extra RAM and better screen are nice upgrades.

9. mrklaw macrumors 68020

True Tone is nicer for reading, and the laminated screen is just a nice thing to have generally. The increased size is nice, but I didn’t find much noticeable difference with split screen apps though. I’d definitely go for the pro for the discount you can get it at.

10. Love Divine thread starter macrumors regular

Love Divine

Think I’ll spring for the pro - thanks guys!

11. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

oops, oh well. i was going to make the case for getting the 2018 ipad. ;):D

12. Cowboy1629 macrumors 6502

Cowboy1629

I just replaced my iPad 4 with a new iPad 6 today. While at the Apple store I did look hard at the iPad Pro but just couldn’t justify the price difference for what I use an iPad for. I’ve always purchased the top of the line model when replacing an Apple product but since I have a MacBook Pro for any heavy use I can get by with an “entry level” iPad for browsing the internet and checking emails. The 6 is a nice upgrade to the 4 I had.

If I didn’t have the MB I would probably get an IPP. Sounds like you made the best decision for your needs.

13. Love Divine thread starter macrumors regular

Love Divine

I could probably get by with the 6 just fine but the Pro at that price was too good to pass up :)

I’ll see how I feel about it and if I really feel it’s overkill I’ll just return it

14. AutisticGuy macrumors member

One of the cool things about the 10.5 is you can use it outdoors. Just the other day, the weather was beautiful outside and I took my 2nd Gen 12.9 iPad Pro outside and could read in the sunlight without a problem. That’s because the antireflexion and brightness of the screen are superior. I realize you already chose the iPad Pro, I’m just helping you justify your purchase, LOL.

15. Cakefish macrumors 6502a

Cakefish

Just a note from someone who went from iPad Air 2 to iPad Pro 10.5", the upgrade in the speakers is noticeable.

For the video streaming that would help.

16. Love Divine thread starter macrumors regular

Love Divine

Typing from the Pro now. It’s amazing. I’ll try it out for a bit and see if I feel it’s worth it. This thing is loud as hell

17. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

Being able to watch HDR movies on iTunes is a bonus :D

18. enigmaS5 macrumors newbie

Where did you find the 10.5 for $450 if you don't mind sharing?