iPad 2nd Generation Discussion

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CrackedButter, Apr 4, 2010.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I'm not here to bitch or complain about the new version don't worry, I'm just going to wait for the second revision because I want certain things from the iPad. I won't buy one hoping software comes out for example as I'll be frustrated. Not buying this one will make me happier.

When I first heard about the iPhone I actually waited till the 3GS came out because it had the things I wanted from it

So who else is waiting for Rev B?

• I'm interested in the possibility of a SD card slot.
    • iPad Camera. As much as people say there is no use for it, I envision little situations where I can.
    • The ability to update via USB3. It took over an 3 hours to update my iPhone when the last update came out and I had asked iTunes to down sample my mp3's.
    • More sophisticated software (from Apple or the 3rd party market) the ability to make photo books and publish them from the iPad. I don't want to just consume content, I want to make it.
    • A lot of books I want are not digital yet so I'm waiting for the content to catch up. I'm hoping that when the Rev B comes out, ebooks will have matured as well.

Has anybody else got similar thoughts and can resist temptation of the iPad for now?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The latter two have nothing to do with Rev. B.

God help this thread.

3. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

In the mean time I'll be enjoying my iPad for a year. :cool:

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Sure it doesn't but I'm hoping by the time Rev B is out those last two will have matured to the point where they interest me. I can't buy any Rev really until those last two points are met.

God help this thread indeed. :p

But don't get me wrong, I want an iPad and I could buy one now if I wanted, I just don't want to end up buying the next one in a years time. I don't want any negativity to be associated by my being with this thread, just good discussion.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

- ability to be a wireless screen for a mac or be like a bamboo device if wanted as well. That would be awesome!

7. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Although I'm waiting for my 3G

Whats the guesstimate for Rev B?

2 years from now?

8. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

personally im waiting for flash.

without it, theres plenty of reasons why id still use my laptop instead of one of these.
    and there is not enough incentive for me to use this instead of my iphone.
    i also asked my dad if hed like one and he said since it cant watch dvds he wouldnt like it.
    a front facing camera and a full featured skype app would be nice.

9. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

This will never happen.

10. Hierotochan macrumors member

Yes, that would be awesome!

Also waiting for multi-tasking, with a 3/4 finger swipe gesture to switch between apps.

Not sure about the Flash issue, I think HTML5 might be on to a winner, but Obv. Flash would be more usable currently & nice to have.

11. Hierotochan macrumors member

True for native support, until Adobe pull their finger out & re-code Flash.
    But included in CS5 will be a repackaging App. for Flash to iPhone/iPad conversion. Nice workaround, yet to see it though.

techcrunch.com article

12. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

You can actually do that now with the iDisplay App.

This is something that I want from Revision B as well, but I'll wait till then when the Apps market mature.

I guess I want a Rev B because it will be the one that makes amendments for the first one but it is also a reasonable time frame to expect big apps to come to market as well and we'll know whether they will be a flash in the pan or not.

13. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

What a moronic thread, a product just comes out and you open a waiting for rev. b thread...super...it's all about staying in the moment and enjoying what's available as always...

And the gall of the op to call it official....

Sure this is a rumors site but starting a rev. b thread on launch day of a product is just sick.

14. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

That's just it, it isn't available for me to enjoy is it because I would be frustrated by what I can't have. I have legitimate reasons not to buy a product, is that okay, are you suggesting to me to buy the current one which doesn't serve my needs and then buy the next one in a years time which might also not serve my needs? That is moronic and a waste or money.

As always, it only took the first page for somebody to bring a downer to a discussion.

15. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Look man, you launch a Rev. B OFFICIAL (by virtue of what...) thread on product launch date, what do you think the normal reaction will be, congratulatory? Anticipation of future features is on thing, but talking about rev. b on product launch...I mean we might as well open an OFFICIAL rev. c thread, anything goes....

16. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Not to mention that his "needs" probably won't be in the next version of the iPad anyway. Apple does what THEY want, not what some Internet forum nitwit thinks should be done.

17. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Hear, hear.

An sd card slot on an apple product...not gonna happen, I d probably like it too, but I respect their right to control the upgrade path with built in flash.

Mature market for ebook readers... nothing to do with a rev. b product.

More sophisticated software, again nothing to do with rev. b...

18. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

With all due respect to the OP... the issues you consider important aren't anything new. They were never ever going to be addressed by any revelations from people receiving the iPad today. Your first two points were raised by every damn blog, forum poster and tech pundit as potential problems from the iPad keynote onwards. The sync issue frankly doesn't sound much like a USB speed problem, more that your computer was processing your entire music library to a lower bitrate. And the last two will be developing over the life of the product and are already remarkably advanced for a brand new product sector (oh, and the ebook market is already huge with the approval and launch of the Kindle app so that doesn't really apply).

Basically, this is just a repeat of a dozen other threads on this very forum and really didn't need to be put in as a seperate post, it could quite easily have been added to one of those especially on a day when the forum's so busy with genuinely new and interesting posts. Sorry

19. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

People call the first threads of their kind "official". Most people will post here, any new threads will be merged in, it just makes it simpler for people to see where to post. I'm not going to get my panties in a twist because a poster called a thread official :eek:

I don't know if I'm waiting for iPad rev. B (until they announce the UK pricing I can't crush the dream :p)

I'm meant to be waiting for a decent ebook reader (one with faster refresh rates) but that's starting to seem like a damn long wait, and in the meantime I have a couple of flights coming up this Summer. The iPad's a dream travel companion, just for the battery life . . .

I really want to know what the battery's like for reading ebooks.

Then again, it'd be nice if for once I didn't buy Rev A :rolleyes:

20. oldmovieguy macrumors newbie

Sometimes you just have to forget the steps to the pool and just dive straight in and enjoy the splash.

21. oldmovieguy macrumors newbie

Sometimes you just have to forget the steps to the pool and just dive straight in and enjoy the splash.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I'd be using an iPad for work & fun so would need the following to be able to justify even considering one. As for resisting temptation.. I'm not tempted at all. When something actually physically isn't capable for doing what you need, it's not even an option.

Work:
    Flash
    Multitasking

Fun:
    Front-facing camera - VOIP

If it had those I'd buy a couple. As it is without Flash it's really useless for our business (our support is based on Flash made by a 3rd party). It's definitely a little toy right now, and some people will manage to get work done on it with specific apps. I may look towards picking up a 3G model in the UK when they come out for my dad though, he's really does a lot of email on the move, that seems to be vital to his work for some reason (engineer), and I've no idea why, but I do know he'd really appreciate the bigger screen and touch keyboard.

But I can see the iPad really shining with a couple of revisions and business owners really jumping on it (even though it's not marketed towards them). It's just not there yet.

23. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

As the old saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say...

Was it your product launch? Have I in someway affected you personally? I'm very sorry I did otherwise you're over reacting. What I'm doing here is akin to sitting in the pub and saying what I want from a future version. I don't want to just consume content on the device, I want to create it as well and this product doesn't do it yet.

I btw never said they should do anything, I'm merely informing people here what I am looking out for come Rev B.

You're quite dismissive aren't you?

I do believe that there are apple products with SD cards already, second I have said I'm also using the Rev B as a time frame for other markets that orbit the iPad to mature. You're quite right that some of my expectations have nothing to do with a rev B product, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Go back to school and comprehend written english.

24. bjmrk macrumors newbie

Thoughts on the 2nd Generation iPad

We all know iPad will get a camera in a year or two, so is it worth waiting for? Will next year's iPad be so much better that it is worth waiting? the new iPhone is coming out soon probably, so will it's software be an upgrade to both iPhone and iPad? Multitasking maybe?

Speaking of multitasking, iPad is going to have to get multitasking. I love it the way it is, but it could be even better if it could multitask. It probably will soon, and that will probably be Apple's "catalyst" for the iPad, just like itunes was to iPod and the App Store was to iPhone and iPod touch.

Do you think Apple will upgrade hardware, software or lower the price first? I would love to see a dual core processor, being take full advantage of by multitasking and a camera next year. I'd also love to see the current bottom of the line iPad for $350. $499 was great and super aggressive, but next year Apple could probably shave off a good amount, especially if the hardware remains relatively the same.

Are the current capacities adequate? I think 32GB would be enough, but if you're going to be watching movies on it and have your full library of music and apps, that would certainly fill up quickly. Will Apple have a 128GB model next year? That would be awesome.

Flash... Am I the only one that doesn't care? With the youtube app, the ABC app, and undoubtedly other networks soon pitching in with their own variants, almost every video worth watching on the internet will be on iPad. The only thing left would be Hulu, but if AOL's former CEO gets his way and ruins Hulu with a price tag than it wouldn't matter anyways... The only thing I can think of that really depends on flash entirely would be internet games, and there's an app for that so I don't think that's much of an issue.

Anyone have thoughts?:apple:

25. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

IT's technology, constantly becoming outdated the minute you buy it, You can keep waiting for iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 2848483292993939 but you'll always be behind and wanting more for less.

Seriously, I'm tired of people whining, buy it stop waiting for nothing.