iPad 2's Aluminium Backing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EugenexYew, May 3, 2011.

1. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

Just wondering, how scratch resistant is the iPad 2's backing?
    Is it as susceptible as the iPod touch?
    Say on a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate it's durability?
    I'm thinking on whether to get a case or just sticking to the Smart Cover and maybe a transparent skin in the future.

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

My experience is that they scratch pretty easily. Not in a "you look at it crosseyed it scratches" sort of way, but enough that you have to give thought to where you put it. I gave up fretting and put a Zagg invisishield on the back.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I've heard the glass is way tougher than the alluminum. I put a back protector on mine and keep it in a zip up case when it's not being used so the screen is protected too.

The back is kind of like the iPhone 4 antenna band--seems to be easily scratchable. I had to do a bunch of iPhone 4 exchanges when I first got mine, and not one of them had a cosmetically perfect antenna. The last one I got finally has been the one that worked correctly, but it still came out of the box with blemishes on the antenna. I gave up and decided that a perfectly functioning phone is way more valuable than a cosmetically perfect phone.

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I don't find it all that easy to scratch. It's soft as hell though. Even a one to two foot drop onto a hard surface will bend it up on the corner/side pretty bad.

5. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Mine got a deep scratch on the first day idk how. I put an invisible shield on it the second day

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I put a shield on my first one, for protection and grip.
    Now the second one is running naked but not for long it already has a scratch.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

You guys with the scratches are talking about the back, right? So far it looks like the glass is really durable.

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

aluminum is a pretty soft metal...don't forget its the same materal as in soda cans. it shouldn't be all that surprising that you can mark up or dent the back easily.

9. gatearray macrumors 65816

It seems to have the same exterior finish as the MBP, where as the original iPad had more of a brushed aluminum look. Maybe it's just me. :)

Anyway, launch day iPad 2 here, no skin, no scratches. If I set it down on it's back, I make sure it's on a surface softer that aluminum, otherwise, face down on the smart cover, and so far so good.

10. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Enough that I always keep the back covered ... No scratches yet!

11. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

I find that the textures are indeed very similar.

Definitely less scratch-able than the iPod touch backings are.