iPad 2's wifi range has significantly decreased - is it on its last legs?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kylera, Nov 25, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

A while ago, I noticed that my iPad 2 wouldn't connect to my home router, an AirPort Extreme, when I'm in a different room.

I live in a three-bedroom apartment and the router is in the living room. The iPad loses connection when it goes into any of the bedrooms and regains connection in the living room or kitchen.

Using a spare airport express has helped when I'm using the iPad in my room.

So, is it going?

2. tf_dc macrumors member

What about other devices under the same conditions? Do they also suffer from decreased connectivity or not? If yes, it may be interference.

Install AirPort Utility by Apple, go to Settings -> AirPort Utility and enable WiFi Scanner. Start AirPort Utility, press WiFi Scan in the top right corner, then Scan. After you get the list of wireless networks, press Stop and examine it. Check for the networks at the same channel or on neighboring (+- 1 channel) as yours with approximately the same signal strength or higher (RSSI, the lower the negative figure the higher is signal strength). If you find such, that's probably the source of the problem.

If no sighs of interference and other devices are OK under the same conditions, the problem is probably with your iPad - software or hardware is another question.

If no interference and other devices are not OK too - the problem is probably with your router.