iPad 2S

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tomhfh, Feb 19, 2012.

1. tomhfh macrumors newbie

What is the probability that the 'iPad3' will be called the '2S'?

Unfortunately I think it may be the case, as it is not getting a redesign, and the processor is not called A6 but A5X, which is worrying.

(source)

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Are you worried about a name?

I'm not sure about redesigning, it's a tablet and I can't see much difference in a form factor. I guess the new screen could be enough by itself for Apple to call the next release "iPad 3", but we don't know anything about it yet.

3. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Why do people care more about a number/letter after the model number than what is actually better on the new product?

4. Emoo macrumors regular

I guess the only reason to worry about a name would be the possibility that it's only a bump type upgrade rather than a total redesign/impressive upgrade? But really it shouldn't matter too much either way, since either you'll find the upped specs enough to justify your latest (or first) iPad purchase or you won't.

Personally, I just think "iPad 2S" is silly sounding. Also if you stare at it for too long the number and the letter start to make my head hurt. :p

5. tomhfh thread starter macrumors newbie

its just a name...

It might look like just a name, and I am buying one whatever, but it just really disappoints me when apple releases a product with S on the end of it. It basically says 'I'm not good enough to be a step up'. It seems quite un-apple to put an S next to a product, and it confuses people. I really wish they just went ahead and called the 4S the 5.

Now if apple bring out an iPhone 5, it will be the 6th generation. If they bring out an iPhone 6, people will say 'where did the 5 go?'

It is just so much less messy having a 1,2,3 rather than a 1,2,2s,4, etc

sort it out, :apple:

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

because people want a new form factor to show off that they have the best one available. or something along those lines. i've never understood.

who cares if the form factor changes unless the current one is flawed in some manner or has been around for a very very long time. but either way the name shouldn't matter.

7. Emoo macrumors regular

Maybe it's because they've got something that's big enough to justify a new iteration, but not big enough to use as a major feature of the next number in the naming scheme.

I dunno, I just kind of look at their way of naming hardware as sort of an analogy to software upgrades. I have Adobe CS5.5, but many parts of the collection haven't changed from CS5, and certainly not enough to merit calling the whole suite CS6.

I'm not sure that the general public would really care that much about the way they name their devices, anyway. Apple only sells a few versions at any given time, and they're still pretty easy to differentiate.

8. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

The only reason this happens with the iPhone is because Americans typically have 18-24 month contracts, and it's the best way to keep everyone happy.

I'll go out on a limb and say they will never release an iPad _S. What eventually will happen is they will no longer bother with the naming convention. It'll just be, e.g., iPad 2015. This will eventually happen to the iPhone too. They've already gone that way with the iPod and Mac lines, and the Apple TV.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened in the next couple years. There's no longer any need to distinguish them. There will always only be one iPad and one iPhone release per year, and they will be simultaneous on all carriers. I could see some hesitancy with the iPhone since they let carriers sell the prior year's model, but ultimately, I doubt that sales would drop just because they went from selling the iPhone 4S vs. iPhone 5 to selling the iPhone 2013 vs. iPhone 2014.

9. James L macrumors 6502a

Apple was using naming conventions like that in the eighties... it's not new for them at all.

10. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I too will be upset (though still buying one to fill my empty hands that use to hold a iPad 1) if they come out with a iPad 2s or even a ipad 3 but a5x processor mainly because the A6 was suppose to support some new tech (3d transistors, aka tri-gate, etc) that sounds like it'd be super fast as oppose to a upgraded a5 processor.. so instead of buying the new Core i7 its like getting a faster clocked core 2 duo, sure it'd run faster than last years model but isn't as good as the new tech that is suppose to replace it.

Lets hope it's a iPad 2s and iPad 3 release kind of like a lower end model to combat kindle fire prices and the iPad 3 is for men/women with real toys.