iPad 3 and SMS relay / phone calls. Does it work?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ggvfvgbffbf, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Ggvfvgbffbf macrumors member

Ok, can anyone on the GM / ipad 3 kindly help with this?

Apple.com says: Continuity features are available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina display, and iPod touch (5th generation).

Now I know SMS relay is a part of continuity but it's a small part compared to Handoff.

I've seen confirmation on here that the 4S supports SMS relay despite what Apple have put above. Can anyone confirm if SMS relay / phone calls work on an ipad 3 (or 2) on the GM?

Cheers!

2. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Hey.

I haven't tried with an iPad 3, but I have tested a lot with an iPad mini and and iPhone 5S today.

What I have found is that SMS relay works perfectly. I have had a 100% success rate. All incoming and outgoing SMS´s are relayed perfectly.

For phone calls, my experience is that I can call perfectly from my iPad, but wether or not my iPad receives incoming calls seems completely random. This seems buggy to me.

Id be interested to hear other experience with this.

3. saudor macrumors 6502

Apple already states the 5s and mini support it. OP wants to know if it's also available on the 3 despite not being stated. Hence the thread

4. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the reply, I appreciate it, but both of those devices (the Mini & 5S) are listed by Apple as supporting continuity in full.

Just to stay on thread I'm looking for confirmation that SMS relay / phone calls works on an ipad 3.

Thanks.

5. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Okay, sorry, I was a little fast on the trigger. I thought he was wondering how well it worked, not if it worked. My bad.

6. hounslowfish macrumors regular

I'd also like to know this. My guess would be no, since no Airdrop.

7. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Hey Ballis,

I have a 5s and a retina mini. Did you have to enable anything for it to work? I had one popup, and said to forward them to my iPad, and now they forward ok, but I cannot send them from my iPad. I also don't see anything related to them in settings.

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Apparently it works with the 4S, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the iPad 2 or 3. Handoff requires you can already use airdrop, but seemingly you can use the two relay functions.

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

10. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Interesting, another person was saying the opposite, that SMS doesn't work but calls do.

11. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

yeah it's probably just buggy.

12. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Well its a good thing, because it may work on my iPad 2 then :p Its my most wanted feature of iOS 8!!

13. bayourock macrumors member

I am on a ipad 4 and iPhone 5s.... I can't seem to get sms to work on both devises....

Where is there a setting that I may be missing?

14. bighans macrumors newbie

I someone on reddit wrote that their sms relay stopped at 10pm EST..same time mine did

15. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Neither calls nor texts are working on my iPad 3. Since AirDrop doesn't work on the iPad 3, i assume these features don't either. iPad 3 the worst iPad ever™ I'll be upgrading to an Air 2 this year

16. jhuynh macrumors member

Make sure Facetime and iCloud are using the same apple ID on both your phone and iPad and the phone call relay will work. SMS relay was working fine for me yesterday until last night but it seems like SMS relay might not be working for a lot of people right now.

FYI: I have an iPad 3rd gen and an iPhone 5.

17. oldmacs macrumors 68040

They work - Reports are that it works on the 4S, 2 and 3 but there are issues with all devices at the moment.

18. RNVarma macrumors regular

Does anyone with a 3rd gen see the option for "Handoff and Suggested Apps" within Settings>General? I see that option on my iPhone 5.

I have a 3rd gen, and my SMS/phone handoff isn't working. I'm thinking it may be intentionally left out by Apple.