iPad 3 - Apple price fixing ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ron1004, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

My wife would like an eReader, so I decided that it would be best to buy the iPad for this, and after much deliberation decided to go with the latest version (V3) WiFi only.

I thought I'd save on tax and buy it from B&H, where I've just recently bought my MBP 17", but notice that they don't sell this online - only in store, and see the same on a few other online shops.

I'll be going to my local Best Buy and wont be saving on the tax but will at least get the reward points.

How does Apple get away with regulating the prices and sale arrangements ?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple enters into a contract with the resellers. There is nothing illegal about it.

3. ron1004 thread starter macrumors 6502

ron1004

4. GoodToGo macrumors newbie

It will get sold online ultimately. Best Buy is selling iPad 2 online isnt it? RIght now, my guess is that the stock levels are not too high to warrant 3rd party online sales.

5. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Kind of an interesting question posed by someone trying to avoid sales tax. ;)

Can't say as I blame anyone for not wanting to pay tax. But still, I might have phrased the question differently. :eek:

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Exactly since the OP is legally responsible to claim and pay uncollected sales tax.

7. Ksateskier macrumors newbie

How can SAMs club sell the new iPads for $10 less than everyone else?

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Apple sells stock to the retailers then the retailers decide how to sell that stock. If they don't want to sell it online that's their decision, as GoodToGo mentioned it could be because stock levels aren't high enough yet. I doubt any actual price fixing is going on.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apple is the only one who manufactures the iPad - therefore they cannot be "price fixing" in the legal sense.

Now, if all tablet makers got together and decided what the minimum price for a tablet would be - that would be price fixing.

Price fixing does not happen on a single product - only in a market or market segment. iPads are not a market segment.

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

That is quite debatable, considering how some consider the ipad to be its own market. :D

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

While some consumers might see it that way - the courts will not.

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

What would it be called if Apple were to cooperate with retailers to make sure they sell the product at a fixed price then?

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Establishing the minimum advertised price - which is what they do.

Nearly all electronic manufacturers will do this - and it is legal - because the price isn't fixed per se, they can sell it at a different price, but either: 1. they can't advertise at that price (and may lose money), or 2. they won't get sales at a higher price (people will go elsewhere).

14. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

That's interesting, I didn't know Apple could legally dictate the minimum price retailers can advertise the product at, I thought the retailers just kept it at the RRP because they'd lose profit. TIL.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, it is usually part of the reseller contract. Break it, and no more products to sell.

16. ron1004 thread starter macrumors 6502

ron1004

Car manufacturers are the only ones that manufacture their product or model, just like there are other tablet manufacturers, and they have been hauled to court for price fixing.

AUTOS: Price Fixing in Cars?

It's really odd that every resellers price for Apple products are exactly the same, whereas on other products you'll find those that go for high turnover may have better pricing etc.

Make no mistake, I'll be buying the iPad, and just curious as to how come every store has the exact same price and in this case, no online sales.

http://www.abt.com/product/60139/Apple-MC705LLA.html?keywords=
    This item is available for in-store pickup if purchased online.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple&#...bolsp-app02-46?id=1218572403790&skuId=4881072
    In Store Only

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/849110-REG/Apple_16GB_new_iPad_with.html
    This item is not available for purchase online.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In your car case: they were hauled to court because they were competitors:

Dealers compete with one another. For this example to apply, you'd have to show me a case where a single car dealer was brought to court for selling cars from one manufacturer at the MSRP (sticker price).

===

It's not really odd that the prices are the same - it's called minimum advertised price.

18. TC25 macrumors 68020

1. It is available online....at Apple.
    2. Sell it online or sell it in the store where people might buy something else while they are there.
    3. What impetus is there for any retailer to sell below or above what Apple is selling the iPad for?

You've never worked in retail, have you?

19. ron1004 thread starter macrumors 6502

ron1004

Yes, but no other reseller - what does that answer mean to you?
    Best Buy sell most products on line and in store - this model is not even available from them buying online with in store pickup - why ?
    Increased sales and greater turnover, just like they do with other products that they sell ?
    WTF is that meant to imply ?

You never bought any products other than Apple, have you? - sounds silly, doesn't it ?

20. foiden macrumors 6502a

Well, since Apple enters contracts with the retailers, that's perfectly legal business. Most things don't make those arrangements, they just get their product out and mention how much the stores will buy it for. Then it is up to the stores to compete with the product.

However, other stores CAN use other company reasons to sell an Apple product for less. For instance, you can often check around Best Buys to see "Open Box" iPads. Heck. Saw one at Best Buy for a White 64GB iPad3 Wifi for $70 off the list price. Considering you still get the Apple Warranty and capability of any Apple Care as if it is a brand new product, that's a good way to save.

21. TC25 macrumors 68020

What you wrote is silly, to be sure. I already offered an explanation for why a store might not be selling iPads online. You appear to think it is some grand conspiracy of price fixing. If BB, or any other retailer, can sell all their initial stock of iPads at MSRP, why lower the price? Do you know what BB pays for an iPad? What their margin is? No, you don't. So you have no clue how much they could lower the price, but, again, why should they?

22. ron1004 thread starter macrumors 6502

ron1004

That's exactly what I thought about what you wrote, and you weren't up to the challenge to explain yourself.

23. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

B&H Photo will ship one to you but you have to call them. At least they were a few weeks ago.

24. batotman macrumors 6502

Ever bought a video game system? I recall buying a Super Nintendo in the early 90's for $129. Same price at every store in America the time. This is normal. If Nintendo colluded with Sega to set the Genesis at the same price, different story.

This is a stupid thread.

25. mgear macrumors newbie

It's hardly a stupid thread. The original question is a perfectly reasonable one, and most of the people who have responded don't seem to know much about this area of law. Minimum pricing contracts between manufacturers and retailers (vertical price restraints) were illegal under the Sherman Antitrust Act until very recently, when the US Supreme Court changed its mind and declared that such contracts were generally legal. The case was in 2007 (Leegin Creative Leather Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc.). That's why you now see just abound major every brand of anything being excluded from sales in which a retailer offers, say, 15% off any item. Before 2007, you didn't see these exclusions nearly as often. You only saw them when the retailer wanted to leave certain brands out of such promotions. Now retailers have to leave tons of products out of promotions due to contracts with manufacturers that would not have been legal contracts prior to 2007.

On the whole, the ruling has been very bad for consumers. It was a 5-4 decision brought to you by our wonderful conservative court.