iPad 3 case for kids

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KDR, Mar 8, 2012.

1. KDR macrumors regular

We have the original iPad with the original Apple case, but skipped the iPad 2 and don't know anything about the smart cover. From what I can tell, it protects the screen, and functions as a stand, but doesn't do anything to protect the back of the iPad. Is that right?

Can anyone recommend a good case to protect the entire iPad, not just the screen? I am interested in something that will hold up to use by a 9 year-old who might forget to be careful with it.

Alternatively, are there covers for the back that can be used in conjunction with the smart cover?

2. mooseknuckles macrumors member

I have a Gumdrop case on my iPad2 and my 2 year old has yet to cause any damage to the iPad. The internal hard shell of the case has been cracked, however the iPad2 is pristine. It has been thrown, stepped on, food has spilled on it and it all just wipes off. My iPad2 goes with me everywhere. I shove it between the driver seat and center console when driving, I toss it in a backpack/messenger bag or diaper bag every day. I do not worry about it at all. Yes I have a fancy Monocarbone back cover and blk lthr smart cover for those times that I need it stripped down. As soon as I take it out of the gumdrop I am looking to get it right back in it. The iPad is far more functional to me in the Gumdrop case, for my needs. I will be passing this one on to my 2 yr old next Fri. It may not be sexy but the Gumdrop case is functional, especially for those with slippery fingers/carelessness/have no concept of money like children. Best of luck!

http://www.gumdropcases.com/apple-ipad-2-cases.html

3. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Griffin survivor was excellent for the iPad 2. It has shock absorption and had a screen protector built in. Additionally it has covers for all the ports that are attached to the case that makes it water resistant. Not water proof. I assume they will make one for the new iPad.

4. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

+1
    No doubt. It's a lint magnet, but it's perfect for my kids. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago on amazon for $30 and now it's $59! Geez.

5. cheesymogul macrumors regular

I recommended the G-form Extreme Edge to a friend in a similar situation with even smaller kids.
    When I asked him today for advise which iPad 3 size to choose, he mentioned that said product has proofed perfect and that his iPad has survived several accidental drops.
    He even bought the Portfolio model for himself because he travels a lot.

The thing is ugly and expensive, but seems to work.