ipad 3 case with drop protect, auto on/off, stand?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by walkman, Jul 16, 2012.

1. walkman macrumors member

Any recommendations?

I need a stand that will work on my lap in portrait or landscape. I have a leather smart cover, but I can ditch it if I have to for the best case.

The Incipio Smart feather Ultralight Hard Shell would be nice, but doesn't seem like it would provide drop protection.

The otterbox and Seidio ACTIVE Case seem like options for maximum protection.

2. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I think you are right. The Otterbox Defender is your best bet if you're looking for some serious drop protection.

3. MitchBuch macrumors newbie

You are right. But the best drop protection is preventing it to fall :)

4. joekim1026 macrumors regular

I have the devicewear case, detour 360 and it's pretty nice

5. walkman thread starter macrumors member

I'm worried one of my young kids might knock it off a table. Would a thin polycarbonate cases be strong enough for that?

The otterbox looks like it would work well on a lap. A lot of cases have a then wire or leg that would work on a desk, but not so well on a lap.

6. Haesslich macrumors member

I wouldn't count on the PC case - but the Otterbox's thick, stiff rubber should help there. Plus, the removable lid auto-wakes the iPad, and the stand can hold it easily on Portrait and Landscape modes - the only fiddly part is pulling out the stand half from the cover.

And no, I wouldn't use it in a lap, given it needs to be on a fairly flat surface... but then again, most covers do, unless they're the Magfolio Lounge.