iPad 3 charging slowly

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tl01, Nov 2, 2012.

1. tl01 macrumors 68000

I have an iPad 3 from launch day. I have been trying to charge it since yesterday and it is just barely reaching 100%. I did unplug it briefly to charge my iPhone but that only took a little while. I use my iPhone charger for the phone and the iPad charger for the iPad. Any ideas about this issue. Is it usually the iPad or charger?

2. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

So without turning it on overnight it went from 100% to 75%. I closed all the apps and battery issue has seemed to go back to normal issue. Could an app be running while the unit is off and draining the battery even if it isn't getting warm? I don't have any intensive games on the iPad.

3. digitalfailure macrumors regular

Are you sure that you're actually using the iPad charger?

When I first got mine, I was disappointed with charge times and then I realised I'd mixed the chargers up :eek:

4. blaake macrumors regular

like previously posted, make sure you are using the correct charger. Also, have you tried letting the iPad die completely yet? You might want to try that to give the battery a full cycle

5. RCranium666 macrumors newbie

I think it takes about 5.5 hours to fully charge me. If I remember right, it was 18% per hour.

6. weas macrumors member

weas

Mine was over 6 hours... Maybe reaching 7.
    The iPad4 with the 12W charger seems a little faster

7. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

iPads charge slow compared to the iPhones. However, it is weird you would see a 25% drop. I recently put my iPad on a VPN connection and was able to see it is sending data packets throughout the night, so it is expected to use some power as it is communicating with whatever apps. However, 25% seems abnormal.

8. YUOWI Suspended

I perhaps more than up to 7 hours, you may want to try a full battery cycle

9. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I think it is partly related to the charger you used, and which power outlet/surge protector you may be connecting to. I noticed one outlet at a relatives house was taking the better part of a 24 hour day to complete a charge. Electricity does a lot of really weird things.

Also, try using "Battery Doctor Pro" from the iOS App Store. It gives you a lot of tips on how better to manage your iOS device batteries.

If you think your battery performance is taking a big, sudden, and unexplained hit, then it might be related to a recent iOS OTA upgrade/update. Usually, this can be fixed with an iTunes restore with a new download/install of the latest version of iOS. Sometimes, the iOS battery firmware just works better after upgrading via USB instead of OTA.