[iPad 3] Converting softsubbed .mkv to hardsubbed .mp4 for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eelnodnarb, May 26, 2012.

1. eelnodnarb macrumors newbie

Hey guys. AVPlayerPro doesn't have subs appearing when I put in raw .mkv files, and ***** goes down when I try 10bit files.

So I'm back to where I started: converting it manually. I used to use Handbrake, but after hearing about ffmpeg and MKVmerge GUI, I think I'll try other software now.

Is it possible to use the mentioned programs to convert .mkv to .mp4, while also changing soft subs to hard subs? This is going to be used for anime and language videos. Also if it were possible to downgrade 10bit to something other than 8 bit that iPad supports better.

If it is, please guide me on how to do it, I'm not very good with coding. Thank you.

Oh and this is on Windows 7 if that's needed info.

2. eelnodnarb thread starter macrumors newbie

3. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

If you're using x264 MKVs, you should give a look at Subler: it remux MKVs in M4V playable with Apple's Movie.app and with subs. I love it. :D

4. eelnodnarb thread starter macrumors newbie

5. jimmieer macrumors newbie

Just convert MKV files to iPad supported format mp4 or h.264. The following just aims to provide a simple MKV iPad Solution: Convert AVI to iPad 3 supported MP4 or H.264 format to successfully play MKV on the new, third-generation iPad iPad or the 1st & 2nd generation iPad at How to Play mkv on iPad 3/iPad 2/iPad?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I use AirVideo app to convert mkv to iPad format. It also "burns in" subtitles while converting.

7. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Hardsubs will require re-encoding. Really not worth the trouble.

8. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I use iVI I am pretty sure you can hard sub if you have the .srt(?) files.
    It re-encodes, but it's really quick.. about 30mins for an average movie.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Why not skip converting and just use something like goodplayer?

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I find that GoodPlayer works fine with 720p mkv files, but it stutters on 1080p files. But yes, it works well with most video file types, and handles subtitles well, too.

11. KimLA macrumors newbie

Your best way to go is transmuxing the file, this is how I got the best results because videos are now mp4 compliant and don't lag/sutter, the video quality is untouched (this is transmuxing and not reencoding), and the procedure only takes 5 minutes to complete on my i7 2600K. And the best thing is that the subs are not hardcoded so they can be turned on and off when you want to. I use the ipad default player.

12. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

This is what I have been using to stream anime to my ATV or iPad/iPhone4. I have not had a single issue with subtitles not rendering while it does it's live conversion. You can also convert it to have it saved onto the device for viewing outside of a WiFi environment.

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

14. hustmobile macrumors 6502