iPad 3 Curved Screen? Really?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Odoaker, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Odoaker macrumors newbie

I really wanted to jump on the iPad 2 about 2-3 months ago, but then reports of the iPad 3's coming in September or October started pouring in, so I waited. Now, it's quite apparent that the iPad 3 won't be hitting shelves until at least next year. I was going to use my iPad 2 to take notes on (i.e. writing them with a stylus and Penultimate), and so I figured it would be perfect, and the iPad 3 would be even better. But then people are saying that it'll have a curved glass screen? That seems a bit heinous; how would it even be applicable to... anything the iPad is trying to do? How would I then write notes on it? What do you guys think, should I go ahead with the iPad 2, or wait for the iPad 3 (which will undoubtably be faster, have more RAM, iOS 5, etc.), but may have curved glass which would ruin my notetaking? Thanks!

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

i am taking notes on my ipad 2 that i recently bought. i recommend notes plus over penultimate. curved screen? no one knows. but, you can rest assured that you won'tbe touching one for a very long time ( if rumors are to be believed). i'd get the ipad 2. sell it for a good price later if you want.

3. Jeordeon macrumors newbie

I have not seen a curved screen since those really old massive anvil box monitors. I wouldn't worry about it; false rumor. If you want to wait, then sure, but it won't be out for quite a while. I'd go for an iPad 2 if all you want it for is note-taking.

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Concave screen so you'll look thinner in your reflection. ;)

5. Signor S. macrumors member

How about wait until the iPad 3 comes out and then if you don't like it than get a discounted iPad 2?

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

And I recommend NoteShelf over everything else.

7. mathmad macrumors newbie

Curved screen? Lol. I am waiting for ipad 3, but if its curved, i will get a tegra 3 tablet. Tegra 3 is coming, just wait a bit.

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

What's the issue with curved screen? We don't know anything about this, so no needs to worry about this until you go and play with it in person.

Tegra 3 is just a SoC chipset, it doesn't tell you anything. You can create the most powerful tablet on the market but it doesn't mean anything as long as the OS doesn't perform. Look at the TouchPad, Playbook and others, you can put Tegra 3 in them and it still wouldn't perform. WebOS can be the best mobile OS on the market but because it wasn't optimized for the tablet, it didn't succeed well.

By the time Tegra 3 comes out, Apple would have a much faster SoC chipset ready by then.

9. xraytech, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

If this rumor is true, I think the only part of the screen that will be curved is the bezel. The touch area of the screen will be flat.

10. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Apple would not release something "heinous" to use your words. Don't worry, just enjoy your current setup.

11. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I think you may be confused. There has been talk of the iphone 5 having a curved screen, ala the Nexus S phone, but nothing about the ipad having one.

12. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It's just a clever ruse by a Cupertino, so that rivals fall over themselves to be the first with a curved glass tablet, whilst Cook sits back, laughs and releases the iPad 3, with flat glass and optically laminated, 'Retina' display. :cool:

13. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

If you really want it or need it, get the 2, you will have to (probably) wait a long time for the 3, and even then there will be a 4.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, but worry about having a device capable of doing what you need it for. As for curved screen, if it sounds crazy to you, I'm sure apple would think the same.