iPad 3 dead pixels + stuck pixels refused exchange

Discussion in 'iPad' started by InfectedSoap, Jun 5, 2012.

1. InfectedSoap macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time fan of MacRumors both the news and the forums that have helped me many times. Unfortunately I now have a issue which I need some advice on.

I have a couple of dead pixels that are obvious to the naked eye even from a distance so I went to my retailer here in Sweden which is also an Apple Premium Service Provider and showed the sales man and he confirmed them and said he just needed the authorisation from the store's service guy.

Well the service guy insisted that the iPad had just one dead pixel and that he had talked to Apple and they said one dead pixel is not enough for an exchange. What he didn't seem to realize is that if it was just one pixel it wouldn't be so visible considering that it is a "retina" display...

The thing is that it really bugs me since the dead pixels are in the letter "U" when the keyboard is up.

I've attached some pictures of the pixels. The dead pixels are quite obvious no matter what color the screen is displaying. I think there are about 4-5 dead pixels in that small spot.

IMG_0468.JPG

The stuck pixels are only visible against a black background (and incredibly hard to photograph). These aren't really an issue since there are only two of them.

IMG_0471.jpg

So what do you think my next step should be?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

If possible I would deal with Apple directly. Call them and see if they will allow you to return the iPad to them. You could also try another Apple service provider in your area.

3. InfectedSoap thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to call them in a minute. Also I found another stuck pixel which brings the tally up to about 7 bad pixels. Hopefully they won't refuse me now as I've marked out all the bad pixels with masking tape.

4. InfectedSoap thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out my Apple Premium Service Provider who is also my retailer was wrong to refuse an exchange. The lady at Apple said that their official guideline is to always exchange the iPad (3rd gen) when there is an issue with the screen even if it only has one bad pixel.

Anyway she gave me a case number to give to the service provider so that I can get my exchange unit which I am entitled to.

I am a bit sad to see this kind of bad service from my retailer. I've always bought my Apple gear from them. Oh well, if they still won't exchange it I will just go to another service provider and never buy anything from that retailer ever again. My retailer/service provider is Digital Inn if there are any Swedes here who are curious about which retailer I'm talking about.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I believe they HAVE TO REPLACE it, they have no choice. If they refuse you call Apple again. :)

6. driftwoodtea macrumors member

7. InfectedSoap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the support guys :) I will try get the iPad replaced on Thursday since all stores are closed in Sweden tomorrow as it is our national day. I will report back on Thursday with the news :)

8. Smug Boy macrumors member

Don't they have an actual Apple Retail store in Sweden where you could return it?

9. InfectedSoap thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not yet. The first one is supposed to open sometime later this year so for now I am stuck with crappy resellers :(

10. InfectedSoap thread starter macrumors newbie

I went back to the service provider today and told them that I had talked with Apple and also that they didn't notice all the bad pixels last time so today they took it back in to check for the other bad pixels and they would get back to me in a few days. Hopefully I won't have to go to another service provider but we'll see how it goes.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

Don't forget to remind them that they represent Apple and Apple said you are to get a new iPad. If they decline your request, make it known you will call Apple again and you should.

That is not good customer service. ;)

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Couple of days?

You should not have left without a replacement.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yeah I didn't catch that. They should have given him a replacement on the spot. My guess is they are going to run it through some color programs to see if they can unstuck the pixels. Anything else would be shady but a prompt swap would have been proper.

14. InfectedSoap thread starter macrumors newbie

The worst thing was that the service man just said he'd take a look at it later. I mean I should get some sort of priority when I've been in contact with apple directly and also because he didn't notice the stuck pixels, just the dead ones which he didn't think was enough for a replacement... Hopefully they'll take a look at it by tomorrow...

They definitely won't do that judging by their expertise. When I got my iPad back it still had a Google search open for "dead pixels iPad 3"... Also another thing that really made me question their professionalism was that one of the recent apps in the task switcher was the messages app... They had no business going in there... Fortunately I had restored it before I handed it in so they couldn't read any of my messages... Apple sure seems to have high standards on their "Premium Service Providers"...

I'm also a bit disappointed in Apple's customer service regarding this since they wouldn't help me with this more directly. When I called them again today the only recommendation they had if they wouldn't replace my iPad this time was that I should just go to another service provider...

15. LaWally macrumors 6502a

I'm a bit confused. Did you not give your Apple retailer the case number Apple Support gave you? If so the retailer should have called Apple to confirm that a replacement was owed you and given you one on the spot. It costs the retailer nothing to replace it, other than a little time to satisfy a customer ... and that's time well spent for a retailer.

16. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's too bad OP. I would suggest to get your iPad ASAP and send it to Apple. They'll give you a replacement.

If the service provider gives you a replacement. MAKE SURE THE SERIAL NUMBERS MATCH.

17. InfectedSoap thread starter macrumors newbie

I said that I had a case number but they said they didn't really have any use for it since they can't see the information there but I don't know if that's true or not.

I am a bit surprised actually how bad this has been since they have like 7 different stores here in Sweden and they're one of the first Apple premium resellers but maybe they just have a really bad service guy in my store.

18. Rodster macrumors 68040

It doesn't matter because with that case number all they had to do was call Apple and you should have had a replacement iPad on the spot. Like I said my advice is to go tomorrow to that shop, pickup your iPad and send it off to Apple.