iPad 3 "Dictation" Privacy Statement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eq2675, Mar 17, 2012.

1. eq2675 macrumors regular

Wow, read this about the new "Dictation" feature

"When you use the keyboard dictation feature on your device, the things you dictate will be recorded and sent to Apple to convert what you say into text. Your device will also send Apple other information, such as your first name and nickname; the names, nicknames, and relationship with you (e.g., “my dad”) of your address book contacts; and song names in your collection (collectively, your “User Data”). All of this data is used to help the dictation feature understand you better and recognize what you say. It is not linked to other data that Apple may have from your use of other Apple services.*

Information collected by Apple will be treated in accordance with Apple’s Privacy Policy, which can be found at www.apple.com/privacy.

You may choose to turn off the dictation feature at any time. To do so, open Settings, tap General, tap Keyboard, and slide the Dictation switch to “off”. If you turn off Dictation, Apple will delete your User Data, as well as your recent voice input data. Older voice input data that has been disassociated from you may be retained for a period of time to generally improve Dictation and other Apple products and services. This voice input data may include audio files and transcripts of what you said and related diagnostic data, such as hardware and operating system specifications and performance statistics.

You can also restrict the ability to use Dictation altogether under the Restrictions Setting."

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

How did you think it worked? It uses the same technology as Siri.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

As long as you don't dictate the secret formula for Coca Cola, you'll be fine. :D

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

5. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Yeah, this wasn't really a surprise for me. I knew Siri worked like this from the beginning.

6. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Didn't know this (not an iPhone4s user), but it doesn't really change anything for me.

The way I see it, the majority of Apple's profits come from their sales of hardware. I don't see them trying to make money off of our user data anytime soon like some other large corporations do these days. Therefore, I feel a bit safer with Apple collecting this than I do other companies.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

8. doboy macrumors 68000

I believe this was also what Dragon Dictation app did when you used the dictation. If you are concerned, you can always turn it off.