iPad 3 for a Photographer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Donka, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

This is an open letter to Apple with regards to the next iPad from a photography stand point. With the official Camera Connection Kit, Apple must be keen to embrace the iPad for photography in some respects.
    After using this kit, editing software and speaking to a couple of photo app developers, I have 2 requests to Apple.

1. Give us 1GB of RAM. Large RAW support and also layer support in editing apps is hindered by the relatively small 512MB of RAM in the current model. While IOS in general runs well with this amount of memory, certain apps are screaming out for more RAM which will make the iPad a more versatile tool for the mobile user.

2. Give us a better quality screen in the iPad 3. While a resolution increase would be welcome, I'm thinking more about the yellower screen of the iPad 2. Since I switched to using the iPad 2, I have adapted to the screen colour balance and in general it is not an issue however after editing a series of images over the weekend exclusively on the iPad 2 and then reviewing them on a couple of other PCs, what initially appeared as pleasingly warm images on the iPad 2 are showing very much a cold, bluer tint on other screens. While I am now aware of this and can adjust the initial edits to get relatively accurate edits, I feel this is the one area where the iPad 2 screen is unacceptable.

Please Apple, continue the promise you have shown with the iPad 1 and the Camera Connection Kit and flesh this out to a more mature offering. I'm not asking for built in memory card slots or even screen calibration - I'm sure this issue stems from yellower LEDs. Just improve things enough to realise the potential. Things as they stand feel a little half baked!

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Are you sure those PCs are color accurate?

3. iThinman macrumors regular

It is a tablet with the horsepower equivalent of a PC built in 1990. Find a use for it in your workflow, or simply put it down and walk away.

Cracks me up how over the years software advances have often crippled hardware performance and then all of a sudden a device comes out that, besides for the fact you can hold it in your hand, is a decade behind the performance of a desktop, yet is expected to perform desktop tasks.

Multi layer editing with the accuracy of my dirty finger tip? I'll pass for now.

4. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

I haven't calibrated them but the image in consistent across them. The iPad 2 has a yellow tinted screen, I only have to compare it to my ipad 1 and it is glaringly obvious.

5. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

I have a use for it in my workflow and I certainly don't expect it to replace my main laptop for serious editing but if I can make a head start on some editing when travelling then I will be more than happy. The iPad is actually quite adept at some editing tasks and if a RAM boost and relatively neutral screen improves that operation then why not wish for it? The very fact professional photographers are embracing the iPad in the field speaks volumes.

6. utdbear0812 macrumors newbie

Idea:

1) Use Photoshop, Lightroom, and such for editing. If you need it on the road, get the logmein.com app and use it if you need it on the road.

2) Use iPad for connectivity and portfolio display.

Simple.

7. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

It's a nice to have. If I needed serious editing on the road then I would take my laptop with me. I'm not talking about pro work though, I'm speaking from a keen amateur perspective who would be travelling light on vacation and appreciate being able to edit on the go. Like I say, for my serious editing, I would be holding off until I return home. The official Camera Connection Kit is encouraging photographers to use the iPad so why not improve it as a photographers tool?

8. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Donka I agree these are reasonable requests, and honestly will likely be in iPad 3 anyway.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think the best solution would be to use a colorimeter tool such as the Spyder3 Pro or Elite (you may already have one) - in conjuction with the (free) calibration App Datacolor has in the App store.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So how do the images look on your iPad2 once they have been adjusted for the bluer PC monitors? They may look too warm.

If you haven't calibrated anything it is also possible that the iPad 1's screen isn't color as color accurate as the iPad2. I read in a couple of places that the iPad's screen is pretty color accurate,. when compared against a calibrated computer monitor, so it may be a case of PCs are by default running a cooler color profile. Then you run into the issue that PC monitors are by default darker than Mac monitors.

As a photographer, you should have your portfolio optimized for the different devices you are viewing it with. So you would have a set of images for your iPad and a set of images adjusted for PCs.

Although Apple should arguably allow us to control the color profile like they do on the Macs, even if its the simple mode, the burden is on you to make the images look as good as you can on all the devices you will view them on.

11. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

That's the big issue, I can edit the images to look good on both the ipad and a PC however it means duplication of effort. These aren't pro images so variance is acceptable up to a point but the variance in this case is huge. Images that look fine on one of 6 PCs I have immediate access to (personal and work) and the iPad 1 look way too warm on the iPad 2. I guess my wish here is for Apple to go back to the originally sourced screens or if we do get a resolution bump, then ensure the backlights employed give an accurate white balance and not the warm image like the majority of ipad 2 screens. I can manage it personally, it is just frustrating when the ipad 1 never had this issue and my hope is the iPad 3 won't either.

12. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

That is a nice suggestion however that calibration is only done at the application level, not the system level so the calibrated screen only comes into effect when viewing images in the applications own library. A nice way of proof checking the colours in an image but not of much help during the edit process.

13. macrat macrumors regular

As far as PP is concerned have you checked out Filterstorm and Snapseed? This combo is not bad as long as you're not doing any serious editing. For me it's perfect for Blog and Facebook postings. (I would replace the images as soon as I get back to my iMac)

More like the short version of Lightroom3 and Nik software on the iPad. These are just early versions of the apps so I imagine they will get even better. Hopefully this will prod Adobe and Apple to release their ios version of Lightroom and Aperture. It's a huge market ready for grabs I think :p

14. Scuby macrumors regular

I'm not sure RAW editing on the iPad will come anytime soon. However, I think there is definitely a space for something like an "Aperture Assistant" app. Let me import photos into my iPad, put them in a project, do some basic editing (certainly metadata like star rating, colour rating, keywords, comments, etc) and maybe some basic cropping, rotating, brightness/contrast/saturation type settings too, but (to make it fast) do the crop/rotate etc on the jpeg copy in the iPad, and then just apply the same adjustments to the RAW when it's imported into full Aperture on my Mac. Means I can do 90% of my editing on my iPad, and just need to do some fine tuning of my (already selected) best images once I get back to my Mac.

Disappointing that nothing like this has appeared yet, I did have hopes that it would have come already. Would be interesting to hear from developers if the API's allow any more access to the photo library in iOS5, for example if they can read the image name then that opens up the opportunity to do this type of app from a third party.

Sadly, there are *no* photo editing apps on the iPad currently that I would use because they can only work with the jpeg preview, not the full size image, and so i'd have to redo all of my editing on my Mac later anyway.

David

15. utdbear0812 macrumors newbie

the official camera connection kit was to have a way to put photos on the ipad to distribute to facebook, etc. It was not meant as an alternative to image ingesting by a photo processing computer. If it was, they would have made it a CF slot and not an SD one.

16. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

That is the very combination that prompted me to write that post. I bought them over the weekend - great apps by the way.

17. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

I understand why you are saying that but then why give the iPad RAW support if it is purely for these low key shots you mention? I still prefer to do serious editing on my laptop of course but the iPad is surprisingly capable.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

There is absolutly no reason on earth that Apple can't do the very basics and put in some RGB and Gamma sliders into the iPad's control panel so if you wanted to, you could set the screen to match other screens.

We've had plenty of news about Blueish and Yellowish screen tints.

19. genexrocket macrumors regular

1990?? Um no, for example:

[​IMG]

20. Chobit, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

Chobit macrumors member

Chobit

I'm the developer of Filterstorm, just stopping by to point out the Filterstorm 3 update is due out by the end of the month and will bring a lot more to the table. On the issue of calibration, it's something I'm working on for FSPro 1.5 and the corresponding update to FS3.

I love it when I find threads about me.

21. h00ligan macrumors 68030

White balance tends to depend on which panel. I have the warm panel and find the same issues.

Chobit, I'm a filter storm pro user, but I'm having issues with the library function. Is there noway to retain the images only on the camera roll and keep the edits in a file separately..then applying the edits when rendering?

If I have imported 50 photos to adjust into filter storm, doesn't that then mean I have them in two places? Am I seeing things wrong? Thanks for the help, was going to email about it, but since you see the thread about you :)

22. Chobit macrumors member

Chobit

Copied from an email I wrote on the subject a bit ago:

I did, of course, consider working directly off of the iPad photo library when I first began working on Pro. The reasons I chose not to go something like this: Firstly, the reason FSPro was created was primarily for photojournalists. As such direct import from the camera into FSPro was an initial design goal, and remains a future design goal. Originally version 1.0 was to include eye-fi import as a direct option and expand from there. Unfortunately, those plans were put on hold as I still have yet to receive access to the eye-fi SDK.

I also had (and still have) strong hopes that Apple will open up in future iOS versions the camera connection kit for developers, or in lieu of that, another 3rd party solution will do the same. Furthermore, FSPro is also planned to be the foundation of a future mac version which will need to maintain its own library.

Those arguments focused mostly on what might be, but there are immediate implications as well. It would certainly be possible to do a hybrid model, with some images stored in the iPad library and some stored locally, and that was considered as well. There are, however, two basic practical arguments against that. Firstly, dealing with both internally stored and externally available files would have made initial development longer and more complex. Secondly, it can cause the library to get ugly.

If it were managed through the photo library, I may import a collection, edit many of the photos, and export a few of the best. Later if I import that album on my computer, and delete the images upon import, when I go back to FSPro one of two things happens: That collection is simply gone, or I can see the thumbnails, but not do anything with the images since they've been moved. Neither is a good situation. Since I didn't export all of the images, the ones I edited but didn't export never got imported by the computer. This is due to FSPro's lazy processing (it only processes things when they're needed, ie at the time of export).

There is one solution to that problem, which is to process the large image when you're done editing, but that causes a serious break in workflow and is an unacceptable solution at current speeds.

Furthermore, apps don't have the ability to delete anything existent in the photo library, or move things from album to album in the photo library. This could be faked in metadata within Filterstorm Pro, to make the collections in FSPro not match up to the collections in the library, but then the problem gets worse when things are deleted from the photo library. When the photo locations don't match up on the two, you'd be more likely to delete something you didn't want to.

At the end of the day any decision is a trade off. I've laid out the basic reasons that I made the decision I made, you may disagree with it, but at least you know it was actually something I considered carefully. I had actually expected to receive more far more complaints about the decision than I have. I do believe it was the correct decision, and will become a better decision with time as it gains the ability to wirelessly import from cameras and sync with Lightroom/Aperture.

23. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Explanation received. I don't disagree with your choice, I'd have to consider it. Your message is a good explanation, thank you for that :)

24. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

The fact this is an issue at all shows the potential of the iPad. Calibration in Filterstorm would be a great addition - even just something simple like a colour chart and manual sliders to visually balance the output for the entire app.