iPad 3 for iOS 6 Enhanced Multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Woodcrest64, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I'm not sure if someone else has discussed this already but I was thinking that with the iPad 3's rumoured retina display and quad core processor it would be perfect for running apps side by side.

In fact I would go so far to say that Apple is planning on doing this with iOS 6. If this ends up being the case then the original iPad will not get iOS6 due to the 256mb of ram and single core processor.

2. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

If they do this I hope they don't have the same problems android does with background apps draining the battery away with the user not knowing what the heck is going on.

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I would bet heavily against iOS ever allowing apps to run "side-by-side"

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I wouldn't say never (since iOS and OS X are unifying more and more). I think, at best, in the next two years, the iPad will run two iPhone apps side-by-side.

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

And OS X is moving towards full-screen apps which can be switched between quickly.

6. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I think there is real benefit for people to use apps side by side espcially with a retina display on the iPad. I think Lion's implementation of full screen apps doesn't signify that will always be the case for the iPad. Allowing the iPad 3 with iOS 6 to do split screen apps would greatly impact the need for a notebook even more so for many people using an iPad already.

Its really only a matter of time.