iPad 3 for Netflix/Plex streaming

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mgpg89, Jan 7, 2016.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Hi all,

I used to have an iPad, but sold it when I got my 12" MacBook because I didn't use it anymore.

Now however, I found a new use for one.
    I bought a Technogym MyRun treadmill, which has the option to mount an iPad,
    so you can watch movies/tv shows while running.

So, I'm looking for the cheapest iPad that enables me to do so.

I found a second hand iPad 3 for €180, which sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me...

Can you guys tell me if this is a good idea or not?

Only requirements:
    - WiFi
    - Retina Display

Storage space is irrelevant as everything will be streamed from Netflix/Plex.

I just think shelling out €500 for an iPad Air 2 is overkill because it will stay mounted on the treadmill 24/7.

Thanks in advance.

2. Smeaton1724, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I would skip the iPad 3 and find an iPad 4 16GB. The iPad 3 still has the old connector, has none of the power and has the retina screen. The iPad 4 is still just about usable today and when you look at specs it was some jump from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4.

Link to benchmarks: https://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

For some reason, I only seem to find cheap iPad 3's though ...
    The connector type doesn't really matter to me as long as it's included when I buy it.
    It'll be plugged in 24/7 in a dedicated outlet

Is the CPU jump important when its sole use is streaming video?
    Plex does all the transcoding on the server side, and Netflix doesn't take up a lot of resources, right?

4. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I would second it and look for an ipad4...shouldn't be that much more.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have had an iPad 3 since the day it was released. It was nice during that first year, and I certainly still use it for specific apps that work ok.

However, I also recommend you get and an iPad 4 or newer. It will be a much better experience loading the apps, etc. The 4 was a big jump in CPU. However, if you ever see a deal or special I'd even consider an Air or Air 2.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have an iPad 3 still lying around, but I also recommend looking for a good deal on an iPad 4. Keeping a 30-pin connector around just to charge one device isn't much fun. Plus, it's doubtful iPad 3 would get the next iOS update. And who knows when Netflix or Plex might update their app to include features supported only by the latest iOS.

7. Dunbar macrumors 6502

The iPad 3 becomes incredibly sluggish once it's upgraded to iOS 8/9. Performance was quite good up to iOS 7. I know because I have one. I would spend a bit more money for an iPad 4 or Air 1.

8. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I still have an iPad 3 around the house (though i use my air 2 more) and it works just fine with streaming netflix, hulu, and plex on 9.1.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

iPad 3 is fine for your purpose. FYI...I have the original iPad (2010) and Netflix/Amazon Video works fine too.