iPad 3 - Forget about seeing it before 2012, IMO

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DynaFXD, Mar 15, 2011.

1. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

So there is an oft floated rumor that the iPad 3 may be out before the holidays (at least before the end of 2011). Some potential buyers speculate that this will be the REAL next gen iPad with higher resolution display and other bells and whistles. Some also use this speculation as a rationale for skipping the iPad2.

Based on the iPad 2 sales and other technical limitations I say forget seeing an iPad 3 any sooner than a year from now.

Technically, I just don't see current hardware doing justice to as many pixels as an iPad would have if it were constructed with a Retina display. The power needed would wipe out the battery life that people expect from an iPad. Not to mention that another display would fragment the market further making development projections and software distribution much more wonky.

More importantly, why would Apple even think that they NEED to come up with a fast refresh? There is no competition on the scene, they have locked up the supply chain for the parts needed, and their iPad 2 is selling very well. Further, with the current rate of iPad 2 uptake why would they risk the backlash of cynical consumers who worry about technological obsolecence? It is likely that some buyers will not see their iPad 2 until early May. That is only 5 months away from the Holiday shopping season. If Apple were to roll out a serious upgrade at that time it could likely alienate an avid customer base and drive the resale value of iPad 2 hardware, not even a year old, right into the hopper.

No, I'd say the iPad is following the same trajectory of the iPhone 3G. The iPad 2 is analogous to the iPhone 3GS. Maybe in a year they'll roll out a big upgrade (e.g. iPhone 4). But then again, maybe not. If they still own the market then, why bother? No sense playing a trump card until your worried about losing the table.

At this point I'd say if you fancy an iPad, no reason to wait. There isn't a white-knight iPad 3 with a Retina display coming to save you before 2012. IMHO at least.

What say you?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd say that this was covered in the Apple event on March 2nd.

Attached Files:

3. C N Reilly macrumors regular

I'm sort of half-hoping it takes another year just so my brain has time to psychologically amortize the $600 I just blew on this one. :p

I'm already resigned to another $300 on top of that for the iPhone 5 soon too.

Ah well, at least Apple stock has been good to me.

4. sineplex macrumors 6502

expect retina w/ ipad 4 not any earlier.

in regards to retina display :\

ipad 3 - will use the cortex A9
    ipad 4 - may use the cortex A15 which may be do-able to efficiantly run retina.

best time to buy an ipad is probably now,
    unless u upgrade yearly.

5. DynaFXD thread starter macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Fair 'nuff. Your reference to Apple's stated position is noted. Still, at least as I read through forums here and there, that Holiday iPad refresh seems to be real in some people's minds. Wishful thinking on their parts?

6. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

2012 looks real slim according to whats going down on CNN. Those iPad 3 Parts might cost an arm and a leg. In the mean time, I'm enjoying what's available now.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

There are people who will not stop about next iPad until this world comes to an end. Usually these people cannot afford iPad or they already have one, but cannot stop bitching about it.

8. DynaFXD thread starter macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Here .. let me pass you a drink as one -oh my, I hope I get my $629.00 out of this thing- user to another --Clink--

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not sure where I stand on this, I thought it was kind of odd that Apple made a point of mentioning how this was "amazing" or some other buzzword at how fast the second generation was designed and produced, and that the market innovates quickly.

11. C N Reilly macrumors regular

If the iPad 3 doesn't have a retina display, it better be able to cook breakfast and drive you to work, because people are really going to be expecting it next time.

There will also probably be several competing tablets out by then with marginally better screens than the iPad 2.

(No, the Xoom isn't one of them. Xoom 2, maybe.)

12. DynaFXD thread starter macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Well, I guess the only thing worse that being completely bought into something is being bought into nothing. Life isn't a ledger sheet. Pick out your turf and stake your claim and all of that. But yeah, like gambling, over dedication to work, alcohol, video games, there are healthy limits. iPad is not unique there. :cool: