Ipad 3 glass?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AJ007, Apr 16, 2012.

1. AJ007 macrumors newbie

AJ007

I'm trying to search the forums on this one, but giving the ipad 3 name. (the new ipad, ipad3 etc..) it makes it extremely hard to search for a thread. so sorry if I'm reposting this question.

I've had an ipad 1 since the day it came out and I got my ipad 3 the day it came out. I have a 7 year old daughter. and i gave her the ipad 1 when she was ~4-5 and long story short. she never scratched the ipad1, dropped it, used as a plate and god knows what else a 5 year old used it for.... but she's had the ipad 3 for what? 5-6 weeks now? and there are multiple 2-3 inch scratches in the screen. Did they use a different glass or something? is this a flaw in the ipad3 or they just use garbage glass?

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The iPad 1 did have slightly thicker glass than the 2 and the "new iPad", but it shouldn't have any difference in how easy/hard it is to get scratched. Probably just bad luck on the new iPad.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

just wait for gorilla glass in apple products *dreams*

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Maybe your little one has become more creative as she gets older, and decided to try some new and wonderful uses for your new iPad.

Children are so creative and experimental. :D

Attached Files:

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Despite what some people say, screen protectors are your friend. Especially if you give it to a child.

6. AJ007 thread starter macrumors newbie

AJ007

I thought the ipad 1,2,3 all had gorilla glass?

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It's not 100% clear, but it's very likely they do.

8. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

To each their own. Yes a screen protector protects the glass from getting permanently scratched, but my point is who cares when after about week the screen protector makes the screen look much worse than if it was scratched anyway! So you are constantly having to change out the screen protector. To met it is kinda like having a $5000 dining room table and having a $30 table cloth on it all the time. You could might as well have a particle board table. This is an argument I have with my mom BTW! ;)

They do. That makes them scratch resistant, not scratch proof. Also is the scratch in it glass itself or is it a micro scratch in the oleophobic coating?

9. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

10. badpinoy macrumors regular

No officially word, but my understanding is they use gorilla glass. Although I had my iPad 3gen replaced after two weeks for scratches on the screen.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Doesn't say it does, doesn't explicitly say it doesn't.

As secretive as Apple can be, you never know what behind the scenes contracts they have. It could also be a unique proprietary blend deviated from their normal marketted Gorilla Glass product, which may bet he cause of the secrecy. Either way, many signs in the media has pointed to Corning manufacturing whatever it is that used in iPhones/iPads.

12. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I saw that also but have to think, having gorilla glass is a huge marketing plus.

Why would they want to hide from their customers that they are using the latest and greatest glass?

13. howardnow macrumors member

I believe Steve Jobs pushed Corning very hard to make what became known as "Gorilla Glass" while it was sitting around in Corning's R&D lab. Check out his biography.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Even the original iPad came with "Gorilla" glass.

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

What's the idea behind the gorilla glass name anyway? Is it because it's strong enough to withstand a gorilla smashing on it repeatedly?

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure no gorillas were involved in either developing or testing the material. "Gorilla" is marketing imagery connoting "strength" like "rhino" or "ram." See, e.g., Gorilla Glue (not actually made from gorillas).

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Hairline blemishes are usually in the coating on the glass, not the glass itself. (One MacRumors user went as far as to buff the coating off and in turn removed all scratches. Can't find the link to the thread right now.) If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, they're in the actual glass.

Either way, all it takes is a single grain of sand to scratch a glass screen, even gorilla glass. If you are not particularly careful with the iPad, it will get scratched up. I would say start using a screen protector. It will hide the scratches and prevent further ones.

18. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

That's a good point about the coating.

I've had a Xoom since 2/11 without a screen protector and there are no hairline tiny scratches or swirls, or anything. When I wipe it off with a micro fiber cloth it just turns in to a nice clean piece of glass with nothing on it.

I have treated it fair, there are no scratches on the rest of it, except a tiny one on the bottom (probably from placing it in and out of the dock). It's been in and out various bags, has traveled, etc. it's got some real miles on it.

My g/f's cousin who has an iPad has tiny little scratches, you can't feel them, and they are barely visible unless you tilt the screen near being horizontal and the light hits it just right.

I have to think it's really just the coating that isn't as hard as the glass that gets these little scratches in it.

Glass is a pretty hard material all by itself, how often do you really see scratched glass on a day to day basis?

19. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

i wasn't right, but neither are you.

"Apple uses glass from Corning, but they do not say it's Gorilla Glass. It could be something special Corning whips up just for them, or it could be unbranded Gorilla Glass (or possibly Gorilla Glass 2 now). And we've only known for certain that Corning was supplying their glass in the last month or so."

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1339867

hope that clears things up.

20. mrholder macrumors regular

Does the iPad 1 have the oleophobic coating? I'm asking because I have a micro scratch on mine and it would be nice to know it's just the coating.

21. poloponies macrumors 68030

Doesn't really clear anything up because Isaacson's book has a section on the Gorilla Glass issue stating that for the original iPad
    "Corning's facility in Harrisburg, Kentucky, which had been making LCD displays, was converted almost overnight to make gorilla glass full-time."

22. AJ007 thread starter macrumors newbie

AJ007

Is the micro coating different between the 3 versions?

23. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I don't think iPad 1 had oleo phobic coating.

iPad 3 does. It's probably just your coating tbh.

24. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm not sure they were using it back then, but at the same time, I think my iPhone 4 has it, which was made the same year.

If you can feel the scratch by running a fingernail over it, it's in the glass.

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

All the iPad versions have coated glass. However, as is true with nearly everything else, the process/coating is likely to have improved over time.