Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
iPad Third generation, iOS 9.3.5

Since I upgraded to 9.3.5 I have no sound. If I try to change the volume on system sounds, there is no change and not even the bars at the bottom of the popup to indicate more or less volume. If I try to play video or audio, I get no popup at all and no sound. I checked the mute button in setting, and it is not clicked. When I played with the volume in the settings for incoming phone calls (!) and notifications, I could tell the hardware is working since it made sounds. When I pull up whatever you call the thing which comes up when you drag from the bottom of the screen, there is no volume control.

WTH????? Ideas? Has Apple sent me a love note saying I should upgrade by disabling sound? (j/k)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Have you tried restoring it through iTunes? Also, I realize this is an expensive option but the iPad 3 is kinda old at this point and mine didn't work well even though there was nothing wrong with the hardware. You may wish to consider replacing it. If the new Pros are too pricey, the Apple refurbs are a good deal right now.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Have you restarted?
If no joy, have you force restarted?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

You may be experiencing more than one issue. For me in 9.3.4, if I put an iPad to sleep using the cover/magnet, the volume pop-up doesn't appear. If I use the sleep/wake button, it does. In either case, the actual volume works.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Oddly enough, this morning audio was back. And I have no idea why, unless plugging it in to charge dislodged something. It has a habit of involuntarily rebooting, and did so over night.

I'll likely back it up again today in case it goes silent and I will try the restore method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.