iPad 3 has lost sound

Teste

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
For the last few days, sound coming from my iPad 3 was distorted. Now, sound is gone (and no, before someone asks, it's not on mute). I think the speaker has broken.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this? Other than buying a new iPad?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
For the last few days, sound coming from my iPad 3 was distorted. Now, sound is gone (and no, before someone asks, it's not on mute). I think the speaker has broken.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this? Other than buying a new iPad?
iFixit sells that speaker for $25, and has instructions, but they are rated "Very Difficult." So it may call for special tools and risk destroying your iPad.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPad/iPad-3rd-Gen-Speaker/IF116-014#installGuides

If you're less brave than that, you could ask for an advance price quote from your Apple Store--if you have one! Or search here for an Apple Authorized Service Provider:

https://locate.apple.com/country

Lastly, depending on your habits, beaming to a nearby Bluetooth speaker (or Apple TV or AirPlay speakers) might be a good workaround: BT speakers can be cheap, and sound much better than the iPad's little speaker! Choose one that turns on and re-pairs easily (see Amazon reviews). I have one that sounds great, but I have to re-select the Bluetooth device in the iPad's settings every time I turn the speaker on. (Luckily, no PIN code is involved.)

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Hold down the home button and the lock button at the same time until the ipad resets.

That normally fixes it for me.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Lastly, depending on your habits, beaming to a nearby Bluetooth speaker (or Apple TV or AirPlay speakers) might be a good workaround: BT speakers can be cheap, and sound much better than the iPad's little speaker!
Thanks, that's a good idea.

It's odd, though — I have noticed that there is actually sound coming from my iPad, but it's very low, so I can only hear it when I put my ear close to it. I wonder if the speaker is filled with dust or something like that.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It does kind of sound physical (blockage) rather than electrical (loose connection). But almost impossible to get in and check/clean.

I suppose you could try carefully blowing air into the dock port, in the hopes that the air would be forced out the speaker holes... but they're really small.

Maybe playing a lot of bass would knock some dust loose!

Or maybe the speaker became unattached, and is now touching something it shouldn't, damping the sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.