iPad 3 has lost sound

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Teste, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Teste macrumors 6502

For the last few days, sound coming from my iPad 3 was distorted. Now, sound is gone (and no, before someone asks, it's not on mute). I think the speaker has broken.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this? Other than buying a new iPad?

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

iFixit sells that speaker for $25, and has instructions, but they are rated "Very Difficult." So it may call for special tools and risk destroying your iPad.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPad/iPad-3rd-Gen-Speaker/IF116-014#installGuides

If you're less brave than that, you could ask for an advance price quote from your Apple Store--if you have one! Or search here for an Apple Authorized Service Provider:

https://locate.apple.com/country

Lastly, depending on your habits, beaming to a nearby Bluetooth speaker (or Apple TV or AirPlay speakers) might be a good workaround: BT speakers can be cheap, and sound much better than the iPad's little speaker! Choose one that turns on and re-pairs easily (see Amazon reviews). I have one that sounds great, but I have to re-select the Bluetooth device in the iPad's settings every time I turn the speaker on. (Luckily, no PIN code is involved.)

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Hold down the home button and the lock button at the same time until the ipad resets.

That normally fixes it for me.

4. Teste thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's a good idea.

It's odd, though — I have noticed that there is actually sound coming from my iPad, but it's very low, so I can only hear it when I put my ear close to it. I wonder if the speaker is filled with dust or something like that.

5. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It does kind of sound physical (blockage) rather than electrical (loose connection). But almost impossible to get in and check/clean.

I suppose you could try carefully blowing air into the dock port, in the hopes that the air would be forced out the speaker holes... but they're really small.

Maybe playing a lot of bass would knock some dust loose!

Or maybe the speaker became unattached, and is now touching something it shouldn't, damping the sound.