iPad 3/HD Buying Advice?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HyperliteG4, Mar 6, 2012.

?

Which theoretical new iPad model should I get for under $850?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2012.
  1. iPad 32gb with LTE

50.0%
  2. iPad 64gb Wifi

50.0%
  1. HyperliteG4, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

HyperliteG4 macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

OK, so just like everyone else, I've been following along with all the latest rumors and am planning on buying my first iPad. I nearly got the iPad 2 but decided to wait it out. But usually I'm an early adopter, just the iPad was always a bit out of reach for me in terms on $$, until now.

I am planning on spending no more than $850 on a new iPad, the question is, what should I get? Now I know it's unfair to ask when we don't even know the exact models nor pricing, but if Apple history proves, they typically follow the good/better/best and usually don't change prices. With that thinking, I'm debating between a 32GB or a 64GB with or without 4G.

My usage: I'm a pretty heavy iOS user, I have always gotten a 32gb model iPhone and filled it up pretty well. Typically 1/4 apps, 1/4-1/2 music and the rest photos/videos. I do plan on getting the next iPhone, which is rumored to be 4G as well. I have all my music on iTunes Cloud now so I don't store as much locally on my devices, but if I could I probably still would (I filled up a 80gb iPod).

With all that in mind, which should I get? Please vote in the poll.

They both work out within my budget... just not sure which direction to go in? Should I spend the last $100+ on cellular data connectivity or extra storage? In your experience, what is better to have? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks and happy new iPad day to you all!

[EDIT] Another option I just thought of was to save the last $100 and get a new AppleTV (if they release an updated box that's a compelling enough upgrade, I have the current model though).

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Well don't forget to consider the inherent costs associated with owning a 3G/LTE iPad. At some point, that'll put you way over your $850 budget.

I mean, it's a pretty simply decision. If you need LTE, get the LTE one. If you need 64GB, get the 64GB one. If you need both, save up and buy the 64GB LTE one.

I personally fill up a 32GB iPhone 4s constantly, but when I had a 64GB iPad 2, I never came close to filling it up, weirdly. I also went with the Wi-Fi version because I could just hotspot my iPhone.

3. HyperliteG4 thread starter macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

Yeah, I understand this.

I'm not sure how much I'd use the LTE, not having an iPad currently. But I am on my iPhone ALL THE TIME now... I can see myself using the iPad way more when I get it. Like you, I constantly fill up my 32gb on my iPhone and don't mind using the hotspot feature on the phone, but LTE would be nice. Currently, the only time I can think of to activate the LTE though is on a family trip or business trip, neither of which I go on a lot...

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I feel like I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning toward more storage and no LTE. I can hotspot my 4s and since I plan to get LTE iPhone 5 I can just hit spot that too in the future. But LTE is so fast in my area would be nice to have. Only thing is wifi is almost always faster and most places I'm at I will have access to wifi. I had a 3G iPad 1 and never used 3G. I did use gps on a few road trips haha.

5. aohus macrumors 68000

iPad 3 16GB WiFi for $499 + tax

Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4G Hotspot (pumping out at 3MB/s) on Unlimited Data Plan

at 2056 x 1536 resolution

AWESOME! :D

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm still hoping for a 128GB wifi only model, but that seems unlikely now, I have no need for 3G so the 64GB wifi is for me.

7. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

As you didn't list the GPS function as a factor I'd say go for the WiFi model. You can always turn on data tethering with your iPhone and if you find you need the extra speed of LTE grab a MiFi and share your data plan across all your devices without the inevitable hit to the battery life of your iPad.

8. MrBambinoDent macrumors regular

I had iPad 2 32 gb 3G and I did use the 3G a lot actually but since I moved to Canada I didn't use it. Almost everything is more expensive here. I do tether from my iPhone 4S but the defective battery of iPhone 4S is giving me hard times. I don't know what to do actually :confused:

9. Nightprowler, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  10. HyperliteG4 thread starter macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

I think I'm leaning more towards the 64gb Wifi route and using the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone on an as-needed basis. The only negative to that is missing out on LTE until the iPhone 5 (hopefully) comes out.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you're planning to get the next iPhone with LTE, I'd skip LTE for the iPad. Unless of course money is of no consideration.

12. mel0 macrumors newbie

What do you guys fill up your phones to get to 32gb? Personally, I don't plan on using mine primarily for music so I don't need all that space.. I don't think..

13. HyperliteG4 thread starter macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

I have kids, so games, movies, etc. On my phone, I listen to a lot of music. But I have found that with iTunes Cloud I don't pre-load my iPhone up as much as I used to because I can get stuff on-demand now, whereas before I used to load the thing up with what I thought I might want to listen to.

With the iPad rumored to be a retina display, I figure the extra space would be necessary for all the apps/photos/videos that now need to take up more space for the extra pixels.