iPad iPad 3 Home buttom starting to stick

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tiger8, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I have been using iDevices since 2009, never had a problem with the home button. Two weeks ago I started noticing that the home button on my iPad is not as responsive as it should be, sometimes it acts as if I never pressed it, sometimes I have to press it harder. So far this only happens like 1 out of 10 times (other 9 times it works).

Does the home button issue get worse with time? Should I replace it? I am a bit worried that when they try to replicate the issue, it works for them (and they might think I am trying to get another iPad so close to warranty expiration (march 18th)).

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Mechanical failures don't get better over time.

Give them a call.

3. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't expect it to get better, but I can live with it as it is right now. But if it will get worse, then I will go to Apple store.

What if they can't replicate it though?

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I would get it documented sooner than later.

If you can regularly replicate it they should be able to. Should the worst happen and it fails, all of it's functions can be replicated with gestures. The home button isn't 100% necessary at this point.

FWIW, I brought my iPhone 3GS in a week before the warranty expired for an issue, and they replaced it. I think they know by now that people come in right before the end of their warranties to fix things they were living with until that point.

5. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, that's a good point. I wouldn't replace my iPad with another one, I took great care of it and kept the battery in tip-top shape, God knows what kind of iPad I will get now.

6. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I have been using the Assistive Touch setting for a while now. Puts the home button, plus a bunch of other functions on the home screen. Settings > Accessibility > Assistive Touch. Give that a try. Saves wear and tear on the home button.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you jailbreak and install Activator you can assign almost every system funtion a gesture or one of the other buttons.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've been having trouble as well, but I'm still convinced that it's a flaw in iOS 6 because it seemed to happen about when I upgraded. The whole thing at times runs ANNOYINGLY slow and basically seems to lock up for a few seconds.

Updates have fixed a bit of this, but I still think iOS 6 did something that makes the iPad 3 barf a lot. I use the four-finger swipe up instead of a home double-tap to get to the active icons much more now. I'm hoping an eventual 6.2 or 7.0 will fix this nonsense. It was a speed demon running the same stuff on iOS 5.

9. irDigital0l Guest

Thats the problem with a physical home button.

Hope Apple switches to haptic virtual ones.