iPad 3-iMessage ID used when sending a message

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ipaduser88, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Ipaduser88 macrumors newbie

Hello, new to iPad, but not new to iPhone. Just bought an iPad3 software version 5.1.1 with the Verizon chip.

When I sent my wife a text (she has iPhone 4version 5.1.1) she received the text fine, but it was sent using her phone number in the ID title. I guess I was expecting either it to use my apple ID or my Verizon cell number tied to my iPad account.

In my iMessage settings: this is what I have iMessage = on, Receive at = "my apple ID".

When people send iMessages from iPad, what ID is sent so the user knows who it is from? Can you control that?

Thanks so much!!!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I couldn't follow what you are saying, so... an overview to help:

With 5.1.1
    iPad can send and receive with only your AppleID.
    iPhones can send and receive with either AppleID or Phone Number.

With 6
    iPads gain the ability to use Phone Number as well.

3. Ipaduser88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Let me attempt to clarify. When I iMessaged from iPad to iPhone, my wife looks at the ID listed in the header of the message (between the message and edit button). The ID in the header of the iMessage had her phone number in it. So it looked like she texted herself.

So, my question is, how do people who Recieve iMessages from my iPad, know that the are being sent by me? How are the identified? Can someone try this and see what ID is being sent to the other party?

I was assuming that it was either going to be my apple ID or my Verizon cell number connected to the iPad, but it was not, it was the receiver cell number.

Thanks!!

4. leesuhhbee macrumors newbie

Are you two using the same Apple ID or do you each have one?

5. Ipaduser88 thread starter macrumors newbie

OP here. Same apple ID (mine) tied to all iPhones/iPad , including her iPhone.

Just as a FYI ( don't know if relevant) I back up my iPad/iPhone on 1 pc and wife's iPhone on separate pc. But same apple ID on both.

The iMessages work well, but the sender ID is not clear.

6. leesuhhbee macrumors newbie

If the same Apple ID is on her iPhone, your iPhone and your iPad, that's why.

If you had separate ID's then either your Verizon phone number would appear, or your Apple ID e-mail address.

7. Ipaduser88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply. I don't want to create a new apple ID for each device because then I can't app share and home share. When I say app share. I mean buy it once and download it to different iPhones for free using the same apple ID.

If this is the way ipad imessage works presently, then I have to accept it and hope the iOS 6 has some improved functionality. I hope that it improves over time.

I was hoping that but this time the iMessage would work as nice as the iPhone. I was under a bad assumption.

Thanks!!

8. Nuclearmayhem macrumors newbie

Actually you can.

There are many places that you can enter in an apple ID.

Spot 1: In your settings there should be an option called Store. If you input your apple ID there it will use that ID for the store and app downloads.

Spot 2: iMessage also allows for a seperate apple ID. It doesn't have to be the same one as the one used for your app store.

I did this with my iPod because I was tired of seeing duplicates while talking with my wife. I set up her own Apple ID and used it for imessage.

Took me a min but here is the apple article on how to do it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

for home sharing just make sure it has the apple ID that you use with all your home stuff.

9. Ipaduser88 thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds like great advice. Thanks! I will try that and see it if works.

Thanks for all the feedback posts. I really appreciate it.