iPad 3 internationally?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ant69, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

Im looking forward to buying the new (and my first ipad!!) ipad when it comes out (the 3G/LTE model) and wondered what experience people have with international data options?

i travel to the UK often and wondered if anyone has had any experience? i presume that as ipads are unlocked you can just put a pay as you go data sim in?

thanks!

Ant

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

iPads come unlocked and you can visit either a Three or O2 store to pick up an iPad-specific data SIM.

3. Azzin macrumors 68040

If you are buying it outright (from Apple for example), it will come unlocked to all networks.

But.... if you get it on contract from 3, Orange or Vodafone, it will come factory locked to those networks.

4. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Be sure to buy a SIM Free model from Apple.

In the UK we have Monthly Pay As You Go options. Most carriers will give you a monthly contract for around £10. Giving you around 750-1000Mb.

The £10 comes out of your account automatically every month, until you wish to cancel it. Then, when you come back over here.. just give them a call and they'll give you your service back. - Really simple.

It's been a while since I cancelled my 3G data plan (I just don't use it anymore), so there may be even more competitive offers out there now.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

In the past ALL GSM iPads sold in the U.S. (I think worldwide) have been unlocked. I don't expect this to change. You can buy a prepaid SIM w/ data in the country you are visiting. You may need to bring a SIM cutter w/ you though as a lot of times you'll only find prepaid SIMs w/ data, not micro SIMs.

Do not use the ATT micro SIM outside the U.S. or your bill will hurt worse than a swift kick you know where.

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

7. ant69 thread starter macrumors regular

ant69

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for your advice guys!!

I'm in the US do an going to buy a AT&T iPad and simply put a "3" sim card in when I visit the UK.

I assume all AT&T iPads in the US come unlocked? Thanks!