iPad iPad 3 iOS 7.1 still have stutters. Is it only me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sw6lee, Mar 12, 2014.

1. sw6lee macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I updated my iPad 3 to iOS 7.1, and the performance definitely improved, but it's not up there with even the first gen iPad mini. my iPad mini performs flawlessly on iOS 7.1, but iPad 3 stutters time to time. For example, on your iPad 3, go into any app, and double press the home button to get into multitasking mode, then press the home button one more time, and watch the stuttering animation. Do you guys also have this stutter? I'm wondering if it's a bad install for me. I revert it to factory setting a few days before the iOS 7.1 released, and also I don't have that many apps installed. If you guys don't have the stutter, I will try to re-install after wiping. Also, the multitasking mode in general seems like it's lagging a tiny bit still, but definitely noticeable compared to iPad mini. It's just looks much more seamless and fluid on iPad mini than on iPad 3.

Any advise would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also, one more thing. Safari tab refreshing seems not completely fixed yet for iPad 3. I had it occurring a few times. And memory management seems better on iPad mini with 512MB RAM, compared to my iPad 3 with 1GB RAM. Apps stay open for longer.

2. JabberWokker macrumors newbie

I don't get any stutter on my iPad 3 on 7.1 with lots of apps installed. Seems very quick and nice update. Still works quick enough to not warrant an upgrade.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

This is the reason I kept my iPad 3 on iOS 5.1.1 because the A5X was a marginal CPU for the retina screen.

4. sw6lee thread starter macrumors regular

So have you tried the steps I said above and you don't have any stutter? I too think most other stutters are now gone, but some are still there like I said in my original post. Could you please try that and let me know?

I hope other people can also let me know if they have stutters.

The animation for Going into multitasking screen just seems a little bit unstable, whereas my iPad mini is completely smooth, and seamless.

5. Bfarmer38119 macrumors member

6. skipcooney macrumors newbie

iPad 3. IOS 7.1.
    No noticeable stutter when I click the home button to escape from multitask mode.

7. mripadmini macrumors regular

no I'm not having any issues on my 1 generation iPad mini witch seems to be a lot faster then before.

8. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

No stutter on my iPad 3 or my retina mini, and never noticed a stutter on 7.0

9. sw6lee thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot guys for all your replies! Now I'm guessing I had a bad install. Very strange, as I haven't even been using ios 7.0.6 for long because i erased everything just few days ago, then I installed ios 7.1.

I'll try to wipe everything again, and do fresh install.

Thanks.

10. davidinva macrumors 6502a

11. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

12. sw6lee thread starter macrumors regular

Guys, it's weird. I just did the DFU restore, following this tutorial:http://forums.imore.com/ios-7/262841-clean-install.html

But i still have this problem. It's not a crazy big deal, but it's still very annoying. It's probably not hardware related. It's just that when coming back to the same app from multitasking mode, it stutters a lot. When I do it from the home screen it's smooth, but if it's from any app, like Settings, it's very choppy animation. I really hate choppiness. BTW, I didn't restore anything after I did the clean install. I set up as a new iPad. I don't understand why you guys don't have this issue but I do..I don't have warranty with this iPad, so can't take it to the apple store, nor do I think this kind of stuff is covered by warranty anyway.

I don't know what to do..any advice? Thanks.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

Do you have reduced motion turned on or off? That can make a difference with transition animations on older iPad's.

14. sw6lee thread starter macrumors regular

I had it off, and I like it that way, because I love the iOS animations. But I just tried it as OFF, and it is pretty weird. Opening apps and going to home screen has the fad animation, but going into recent apps, and choosing any thumbnails does not have ANY animation. Not even fade, it's just blocky transition. Is this normal? Maybe it's a bug from iOS 7.1? I've never used reduced motion before though, so I'm not sure. I just like the animations, but again now the animation is choppy in the situation i described above.

BTW the blocky transition takes a moment though. It's not instant to get into multitasking mode and coming back out. It takes about 1 seconds.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you turn ON reduce motion it eliminates a lot of the transition animation on the older iPad's. Leaving it OFF gives the UI a more smoother look. Do you use assistive touch? That's another one than can make things a little choppy.

In troubleshooting your problem, you might consider starting over again and using that as a base point to see if everything looks smooth before doing a restore.

16. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

ipad 3 on 7.0, i had safari website scrolling issues. wouldn't respond to scroll swipes at times. just now downloading 7.1

17. sevoneone macrumors 6502

So far 7.1 has been a very nice improvement on my iPad 3. I had lots of shudders and general sluggishness ever since updating to iOS 7.0 through 7.0.6.

I'm still getting some minor stutters here and there, and, yes, I can see the stutter the OP talks about when closing the app switcher, but it is much improved over what it used to be. Before the stuttering seemed to slow the responsiveness of the iPad, typing and scrolling in Safari and Chrome were my worst gripes. Now everything seems to respond very fast though not always fluid. I can live with it. I was considering upgrading to an Air or retina mini, but now I'm confident I'll get one more upgrade cycle out of it.

18. Rodster macrumors 68040

As I mentioned earlier, that's why I left my iPad 3 running iOS 5 because I knew the strain iOS 7 would put on the A5X.

19. danbar macrumors newbie

Stuttering IPAD 3

Quite frankly, my Ipad 3 started to act up (freezing screen, stuttering, slow scrolling, etc) right after I "upgraded" (ha!) from IOS 6. I am anxiously waiting for the new phablet.........

20. sw6lee thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for helping me. I do not have assistive touch enabled. After wiping and before wiping, the problem is exactly the same. If I come back to the same app from multitasking mode, it stutters. Doesn't happen in home screen, but happens in all apps.

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you've done all of the above including a clean install with no apps and just general settings, you could try doing a hardware reset by holding down both the home+power button until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons. See if that helps.

It could very well be the limitations of the A5X which was pushed pretty hard running iOS 5.

22. sw6lee thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for confirming. I definitely notice stutters here and there as well, while iPad mini 1st gen is almost completely smooth. But I really hate the iPad mini display and love the retina on iPad 3, so I guess I have to deal with it. Even some apps run smoother on iPad mini than iPad 3, like eBay app for ex. It's definitely smoother on iPad mini. Another example is Google Search app, where sliding up Google Now animation is smoother on iPad mini than on iPad 3. On iPad 3 it's a bit laggy. But it's weird that all the system apps are completely smooth on the iPad 3 as well, so I'm wondering if app developers did not completely optimize the apps for A5X.

----------

I also tried the power button and home button reset, and it didn't fix it. :( I believe Apple just didn't optimize it perfectly on iPad 3, compared to other iPads. I guess they don't care as much about the iPad 3, which had a very short period of time on sale.