iPad iPad 3 iOS 7 Keyboard delay when switching to numbers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JeffNT326, Sep 29, 2013.

1. JeffNT326 macrumors member

JeffNT326

I have the third generation iPad 3. I recently updated to iOS 7. Everything is actually running pretty smoothly minus this issue. The keyboard displays a .4 sec or so delay when you switch from alphabet set to numbers set. It only does it initially each time you pull the keyboard up. I've tried restarting multiple times. No effect. Recently updated to 7.0.2 and the issue is still there.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Aside from that, animations are smooth. No other perceptive slowdowns (aside from perhaps a slightly elongated time delay with wallpapers). Battery life is as good if not better than before.

2. Kinin2020 macrumors newbie

Yeah, pretty much everyone is experiencing the same. I guess we need to live with until 7.1...

3. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

4. walkie macrumors 6502

Hi everybody!, I'm still running iOS 6 on my iPad 3 because I'm afraid of losing battery life and gain some lag if I upgrade to 7,

Apart from the numbers switching lag, do you guys think upgrading to 7 was worth it?

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'm an iPad 2 user so obviously our experiences will be a little different but if I could go back to iOS 6 I would. For me it just wasn't worth the extra eye candy and since I primarily use it at home I almost never go to settings so the new setting toggles aren't worth the aggravation. Too much lag everywhere.

6. walkie macrumors 6502

I know what you feel, I had the same situation with my iPad 1 when upgraded to new iOS's versions in the past, I don't think I'd need the new features of iOS 7.

7. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Reset all Settings?

I had a keyboard delay when I first updated my iPad3 to ios7. It was most noticeable when switching between letters and numbers, but I could perceive some delay in all keystrokes. The battery was also draining faster than usual.

I performed a "Reset all Settings", and that fixed it. Now the keyboard response is instant, including the switch between letters and numbers, and the battery life is better than I had with iOS6.

I also updated my wife's iPad2 to iOS7. No problems with keyboard or battery on it.

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yeah I made up my mind not to upgrade past iOS 6 but then read some comments around here that said iOS 7 was running very well on some iPad 2s'. So I gave it a try, baaaad decision.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Definitely not as smooth as iOS 6 on my iPad 3, but not unusable. Hopefully future updates will optimize it somewhat.

10. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

On iOS 6 even though the keyboard would lag a bit sometimes I would keep on typing and it would eventually catchup. On iOS 7 the keyboard doesn't catchup as it just becomes a jumbled mess. So now I have to wait for each character to show before I go on. It has really slowed me down.

I'm going to do a fresh clean install of iOS 7 to see if it helps matters. Hopefully it'll get better with a couple updates too.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yeah, definitely not like that on mine. Can fully keep up with my typing. Perhaps a wipe and reinstall will help (which is a pain for sure).

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

iPad 2 or 3? Mine is the 2.

13. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

Thanks for this. It made a huge difference on my iPad 3.

14. JeffNT326 thread starter macrumors member

JeffNT326

So I tried the reset all settings...and it worked....until I added back all my international keyboards.

It turns out that the addition of these keyboards somehow causes the slight delay when switching to numbers. I removed all of them and just left emoji which seemed to not delay between switching between numbers and letters.

Can anyone else confirm the same behavior? Thanks!

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I've kept my iPad 3 on iOS 5.1 that it shipped with; and I plan to keep it that way. The most I ever upgrade Apple devices is one iOS generation up. The devices keep working as good as they were on the day of purchase.

By the time app compatibility becomes an issue, other hardware gremlins crop up (battery, lock buttons kicking the bucket etc.) and I refresh hardware.

16. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Yup, happen to me too my Ipad 2 now when typing on website anything beside english will have long not slightly delay. Its not so bad because i dont write journal or anything on my ipad anyway just first few letters of website i usually visit but when i want to start a thread its quite troublesome.

Still, for those who dont want to upgrade and if you are constantly connected to wifi. IOS 7 auto download to your device if you have enough space. I didn't intend to upgrade mine until about 2GB was disappeared because ios 7 was already on my device. Had to install it anyway. It wasn't that bad, little buggy of course. Battery is same, i get like 10-15 hours per charge for my 1 year device.

17. riker82 macrumors newbie

After resetting the settings, did you restore the last backup? Same issue in my iPad 3 when switching to numbers

18. ScottW1 macrumors regular

No. I suspected restoring the backup would "undo" the benefits of the Reset, so did not do that.

"Reset All Settings" doesn't wipe out any of your data, applications, application data, game progress, photos, synced content, or anything like that. It doesn't lose any of your email or messages (or their settings).

You will lose your Network Settings (i.e., you will have to re-join wifi networks), and privacy settings will be reset (i.e., applications will all re-prompt you for access to photos, location services, etc the next time you use them). I believe notifications, sounds, wallpapers, and brightness settings are also reset.

So there is some inconvenience to "Reset All Settings", but far less than with a complete wipe/restore as your apps & data are not affected, and (at least for me) it did fix the keyboard delays.