iPad Ipad 3 lagging question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Crwmlw, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Crwmlw macrumors regular

Crwmlw

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I have an iPad 3 running the latest iOS 8 software, I'm noticing more and more how this thing is lagging. Running slow as hell. When typing it takes forever for it to catch up with me typing, Google takes forever to load etc. I'm sure you get what I mean. Anyone else having these issues? I'm wondering if the newest software is the problem or the iPad hardware itself? Any chance of somehow getting iOS 7 back on here to see if that helps? I did a complete restore with an iCloud backup and restore as new and either one made a difference. Thanks

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I hate to inform you but there's no going back to iOS 7. Thankfully I never had the urge to upgrade my iPad 3 past iOS 5. It still runs as smooth as the day I got it.

3. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

No way to go back to ios7. Had an iPad 3 that was updated to iOS 8 that mirrored your experience. The solution is to sell it. And then consider whether you want to give Apple more money to buy a new one and start the game over: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1810761

4. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

You shouldn't have done the upgrade. Now you're down the Abyss :eek:

I really don't mean to patronize but next time be sure what you are getting yourself into before you hit the button.

5. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I think it's the hardware, that's why I upgraded. No lag now with iPad Air 2.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Nope. You are stuck with iOS 8 now on that device. As others have said, the only way to regain performance is to purchase a new iPad with its native iOS. Take it as an expensive lesson to never update iOS on your iDevice beyond maybe 1 upgrade off whatever OS version it originally shipped with.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

My original Air is on iOS 7. I don't want to take the chance iOS 8 will impact performance and not being able to revert back to 7.

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

You should be good to keep that going for another year or so. At some point, maybe by iOS 9; apps will stop supporting iOS 7 and you will not be able to download the latest apps. Some apps allow you to download the last compatible version with your OS; and even if you manage to download/ retain the older version of the app - it may refuse to serve you any content and require you to update iOS/ download newest app to proceed.