iPad 3 launch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vaughany18, Feb 22, 2012.

1. vaughany18 macrumors member

I was just wondering if anybody knew how many iPads i can buy on launch day is there a set amount i only ever brought 1 at launches and wanted to buy more for the family?

2. HA5TY macrumors member

yeah. I need to know this too.

Does anyone know how many iPads Best Buy allowed you to buy for the iPad2 at launch?

3. falcora macrumors 6502

I know Apple stores allowed you to buy 2 per person.

4. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

With the ipad 2 in europe, apple said everyone could buy 1 per person.
    I was customer nr.1 so the rule was broken and i got 2:)

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

I believe most of the stores started at two per person, but may have cut back to one per person due to resellers. I know (at least one) Target had a one per person limit at one point.

If it's important, then make your plans based on a one per person expectation.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

They should really do 1 per person.
    The amount of scalpers is out of control. Not just Chinese scalpers, many people who are buying one for themselves will scoop up an extra iPad just because they can. There's really no reason why, on launch day, one person should be able to buy 2.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

To play Devil's Advocate: if I have to work and can't take the day off, but still want one on launch day and know a buddy is already going to be on line, why shouldn't I be able to have him buy one for me?

What if my buddy wasn't going to buy one, but has the day off and I pay him $50 to go buy one for me. Is that okay?

Or should only people who don't have to work on launch day have the privilege of buying one?

Not trying to start an argument, just food for thought. Where do you draw the line between the abuses we saw last year and instances where someone might have a legitimate reason to buy more than one unit?

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

9. z28black98 macrumors regular

not trying to be a d1ck or anything, but welcome to Life. Life isnt fair. If Apple says 1 per person, then 1 per person it is. If you have to work, make prior arrangements. You will know atleast a week or so before they are out. Should give you plenty of time to make alternate arrangements. There are other ways to buying one then just standing in line. Get up early the day of release and snag one online.

If you dont like the rules, dont play the game. Dont buy one!!

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

At the end of the day, we're talking about an electronic gadget, not a lifesaving device. Apple has always provided an option for online ordering; while in itself imperfect it does offer an alternative to waiting in line. It's not a basic human right to have an expectation of getting an iPad on the day it's released.

And the example of paying someone to get one for you doesn't really differ in any respect from the guy standing in line to resell on ebay. If it's that important that someone gets it on release day, then pre-order or wait in line.

11. maclook macrumors 65816

1. No, because you're busy at work. You can't get everything. You're not waiting in line for hours like everyone else.
    Imagine there's 2 people in line. The first guy buys one for himself and one for a friend who is MIA. The 2nd person in line doesn't get one because they're now sold out. Multiply that by (x) number of people who aren't in line that are getting one over the people who are waiting in line. It's easy to ignore because you or your buddy is out of line with 2 iPads before the people at the end of the line learn that they're sold out.

2. If your buddy is only buying one, that's ok. He's pretty much buying one for himself and then selling it to you for $50 profit. People are doing this by buying one for him/herself and an extra one for whoever, just because they can.

3. One per person on launch day.

If it's legitimate for someone to buy an iPad for someone who isn't in line, why is the limit drawn at 2 per person? Why not just let the guy buy 20 iPads for 20 people who are "busy at work". There really is no legitimate reason that someone who is busy at launch should get one when there is such tremendous demand.

I got an iPad 2 on launch last year but was still disturbed by the amount of scalpers and people buying 2 iPads. Let the geeks who are actually waiting in line get theirs!!!

12. deeddawg, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

First off, ya'll need to chill out and research the concept of "playing Devil's Advocate." I intend to order one online as soon as doing so is available, and waiting for it to be delivered.

Sheesh.

and if that prior arrangement is to have a friend or relative go stand in line? Why would that be wrong? At the end of the day, the ipad is in the hands of someone who wanted it badly enough to make arrangements to get it.

All very true, which is why it's interesting that people get so worked up over the matter.

You're quite right - in either case, the ipad lands in the hands of someone who wants it badly enough.

So new question: What if someone has their sibling or spouse stand in line and buy one ipad for them, no money changes hands? Is that not okay? Why not?

How about if I go stand in line to buy one to give to my son/daughter/wife? Is that okay? Why or why not?

Exactly the point I was driving at - where do you draw the line in terms of who is "deserving" enough to be able to buy one? It's a slippery slope where at one extreme you have the situation with concern tickets getting snapped up by resellers and everyday people get the shaft, at the other extreme you skew towards being unfair to those who are long time Apple customers and have circumstances interfere with their ability to buy online or in person on launch day.

And here I think you've hit the nail on the head; "us vs them" mentality and frustration at being unable to get yours because you feel someone else unfairly denied you of your opportunity.

13. urkel, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

Our situation last year was this. Two iPads. 5th/6th in line. 3mo old Baby. Corralled like cattle in center of store. Apple forced an unnecessary 5PM launch time. Best Buy said BOTH must be in line.

I understand why they have a one per customer limit but the people in our immediate area would've been VERY appreciative if the wife and crying baby were allowed to wait in the car because 7hrs listening to someone else's kid is torture. So my opinion is that yes, sometimes people do have legitimate reasons to buy more than one.

That said, we'll probably be doing it again this year.... along with our 18mo old and another 2mo old. :eek:
    [Edit: I meant a "Wink" emoticon instead of the "Eek" and apologies to everyone offended by this scenario. The wait was a few hours, the baby slept most of the time and the wife left the line several times with the approval of the people around us. And don't worry, this time I'm going solo. :D]

14. maclook macrumors 65816

Your baby was probably crying because you were at a Best Buy and the employees kept trying to sell him warranties and bb credit cards.

15. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

Why on earth would you put your baby through such an ordeal? Pure selfishness, and for what?

16. lincolnmayer macrumors member

I am quite curious on this myself, when will it be released to the public for US? I am interested in getting an iPad 3 myself..Thanks any release information will help!

17. Angry-Birds macrumors member

:eek: is right. Are you really that self-centered that you can't wait a few days for it to come in the mail?

18. z28black98 macrumors regular

and if that prior arrangement is to have a friend or relative go stand in line? Why would that be wrong? At the end of the day, the ipad is in the hands of someone who wanted it badly enough to make arrangements to get it.

If that prior arrangement is to buy one, sure thing. If you want it that badly, that you must have it on release day, make it happen where you are phsyically able to get it yourself. Just my opinion, but I dont trust other people to handle my affairs (friends or family). If its that important to me, I will make sure I do it myself.

19. urkel macrumors 68030

No. Apologies to all, but I meant a wink emoticon and the reason I presented my baby situation was because I was responding to deeddawg and the idea that sometimes there are legitimate reasons for a single person to buy two that doesn't involve reselling.

This year I'm definitely doing a preorder for the wife but I'm probably going to wait in line if Apple does a 10A launch. And I won't have any kids with me. :D

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

Rumor says March 7, but no one knows outside of Apple.

21. wayner macrumors newbie

My company is just starting to roll out iPads to a limited number of employees. Many people have decided to wait for the iPad 3. So we will have pent up demand for something like 20-30 iPads as soon as the 3 is out. Why not let you order many iPads?

22. iPad-Lover macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow, the people that want there ipad 2 now are pretty stupid, be funny to see there reactions next month when the high res ipad 3's come in, hahaahahah! ;)

23. wayner macrumors newbie

But here is another question - when will we actually be able to deploy the iPad to our employees. Assuming that the iPad3 is announced on Mar 7 when will it ship? The iPad2 shipped to Canada 23 days after launching. So that takes us to Mar 30. How long will it take until you can actually get one? Maybe another 2-3 weeks. How long until our IT dept tests it with the apps required to provie security VPN access, etc? Another couple of weeks. Therefore you are looking at around May 1 or later. Or you could have an iPad2 today.

And some of the advantages of the 3 vs the 2 aren't that useful in a business setting - such as a better phone.

24. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

One member suggested the 7th of March but that is not correct. We know it will be announced on the 7th of March but sold a bit later and its anyone guess.

25. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Imagine how crazy this forum would go if a reseller got on here and used this for justification for sending his minions out to get him 30 on launch day. Thing is everyone has equal and ample opportunity to be in line on launch day. If a guy in front of you gets two and is reselling one, then you shoulda got there before him. Limit 2 is fine.