iPad 3 LCD panel lottery

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ClarkWGrizwald, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

Since this is very new tech involving this display. I wonder how drastic the "LCD lottery" will be. Something tells me it will be very drastic. I.E. VERY different display brightness and temperatures....

2. psonice macrumors 6502a

Maybe some of the iPad 3s won't get the retina screen? :eek:

3. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Would the fact that Samsung seems to be the sole provider of the displays have an effect on consistency? At least they would all be coming off the same assembly line.

4. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

There was an article somewhere saying all Retina panels were made by Samsung.. There is no lottery.. Other makers provided retina examples to apple, but could not commit to production so Apple dropped the competitors and went with Samsung who could crank them out fast enough.

I'm happy it's Samsung because they tend to be really high quality made panels for the most part.

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I think MR needs an OCD support section. Dreaming up problems before they happen. Where is the dislike button?

6. marksweb macrumors member

Isn't that what the vote down button is for?

7. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Nothing wrong with wanting a good panel.. Especially in LCD panel lottery situations.. But we should all feel relieved that everybody will recieve a Samsung made panel and should all hopefully look nearly identical.

8. iJays macrumors regular

the new "retina" display is probably not that "high-tech" as we thought since Apple managed to keep the same price point as the iPad2 :apple:

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yes, TY forgot about that.

10. marksweb macrumors member

Well, as one of the new guys, I'm glad people agree with me :D

11. homeboy macrumors 6502

I don't there think there will any problems with screens.

The worst LCD lottery I've been through is that of my Dell Studio laptop. I literarily had to call it in for repair and specifically ask the technical to come around with an LG panel. The differences were staggering.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Article here. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/14/samsung_ipad_3_screen_contract/

The OP is ridiculous. Why look for problems before one unit hits average consumer hands? But the above talks about the contract being handed to Samsung.

Wrong.

13. Grease2310 macrumors member

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yes, the consensus was that Apple was sourcing retina displays from all 3 manufacturers. However, more recent reports/rumors have indicated that only Samsung has been able to manufacture the screens at the specified quality/quantity. So if these latest reports are true, there will be no lottery for the screen manufacturer.

The screen lottery will be whether it was made on a Monday or Friday. ;)

15. ClarkWGrizwald thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't matter at all if there is one manufacturer or 100. LCD production will ALWAYS have discrepancies. Thus is the nature of LCDs. I am a certified Apple technician and see countless same make and model Apple products. ALL have varying LCDs. Some are WAAAAY better than others.. And this is new technology...

16. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Of course there will be an outcry on forums like these.

A small % of registered users here will receive an iPad with some backlight bleeding, some will have a warm or yellow color temperature, some will be too blue, some will have uneven backlighting, etc. This is just physics coming into play. And don't forget, these tablets are put together by hand. So there will be some subtle differences. There must be, it's just a statistical fact.

But looking at these forums in the coming week or so, one will likely get the impression that tons of users are affected, while there might be just a fraction of a percentage point crying foul. Everyone else is happy and will use it with joy and without sounding off on internet chat boards.

Just remember, you can always take it back for a refund or swap... And you will NOT hold onto this iPad forever, must of us over here will use it 12 months at max, sell it on eBay with a $100-150 hit, and then buy the new iPad with a quad core CPU, faster graphics, touch sensitive panel, etc.

So enjoy your new iPad while it lasts. It will not be a bond that'll last forever. So don't worry if you get a slightly imperfect model, everybody will have one that is slightly off. Who cares???

Looking forward to my black new iPad, 32GB WiFi, coming this Friday!

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

I always love to stress out about things before hand; get a head start, so to speak.

Just make sure you eyeball everyone else's to make sure yours is as good.

my saying: "The best part of ownership is coming to hate the thing" :)

18. ClarkWGrizwald thread starter macrumors member

Again, and this is not a new point, Quality control, consistency, and superior build are part of the reason consumers pay a premium price tag for Apple products. It is nothing to be scoffed at. Apple is the worlds biggest, most popular brand. If they are "setting the bar" for tablets, it is MORE than reasonable to hold them up to the standards that they themselves have set..

19. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Sometime during the day on Friday, all of the "-gate" outrage threads will sprout calling for class action lawsuits. :)

20. mac jones macrumors 68040

My goodness, these sound as if you guys actually spent time trying to write these :D

Kudos for that!

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

There's something about consumer electronics that really brings out the OCD in people. A friend of mine bought a new HDTV, and thought the stand might be slightly crooked. Rather than say "I can't be certain it's crooked, so I'll assume it's ok.", he searched the house for a measuring tape, and repeatedly measured the height on both sides, to see if there was a difference of < 1mm between them.

But, to be fair, Apple is kind of asking for this. They're the ones who brag about the tiniest design details; so they can't be too surprised if their customers are obsessive about the tiniest details.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Retina is a marketing moniker not a technology. Samsung has plenty experience making panels & there really is nothing new about them. There's bound to be some defective panels that get through -- that's normal. But generally we'll all end up winners unless you are super OCD.

23. bobobenobi macrumors regular

I've heard a good percentage of iPads will come with carrots instead of retina displays.

24. JeffLebowski41 macrumors regular

Regardless of what the new display looks like, half of the first page on Friday is going to be people freaking out once they get out their microscopes and lock themselves in closets to test out all sorts of non-real world usage scenarios.