iPad 3 mail-in warranty servicing

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Infinite Jest, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

I bought my first iPad (woohoo) last week used on Craigslist (too good of a deal to pass on) and while it's been take good care of (and has warranty support remaining through Aug 2013), I found a few manufacturing problems with the screen. These being a dead pixel (not a big deal) and a screen with a yellow tin on the bottom 1/4 or so. There is almost no light bleed, which I was borderline shocked over, but this tint is extremely distracting when I'm reading PDFs or other text,my primary purpose for buying this tablet.

Anyway, since the nearest apple store to me is ~2 hours away, I initiated a mail-in service last night. My questions for you guys: how have your experiences been with mail in warranty service? Would it be worth waiting two or so weeks until I'll be visiting the city the apple store is located? Thanks and despite this issue, this tablet is magnificent!

Also, in your experiences, how successful have you all been with getting a unit with an even screen tone/brightness, something I consider essential for reading. (I mean heck, even my HP TouchPad has a uniform display!)

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I had my 4S replaced via the mail-in service and everything went smooth. Of course I ended up taking it to an Apple Store anyway since it kept dropping the cellular signal.

The problem with the mail-in service is that you can't inspect the device before accepting it. In an Apple Store, you can check it out to make sure there aren't any problems with the device. It's safe to assume yours will be fine, but there is a chance something could be wrong.

3. Infinite Jest, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

Infinite Jest thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try the brightness at 100% in the sock drawer bit before I do anything and see if that clears the yellow up (doubtful). Other than that, I think I'll ship it in and if the replacement they send me is crap, replace that one at the apple store in a couple of weeks. What exactly is the deal with UPS shipping your the device for you? Do they package it up or just give you a box?

Also, this doesn't really have to do with the aforementioned issues, but has anyone noticed that the viewing angle on the retina display is less than stellar?

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Apple will send you an empty box and then you'll need to schedule a pickup with UPS or take it a UPS Store, which is what I did.

Don't worry too much about the yellow. Try using it at 100% for a few days and see what happens. I've read many reports that it can go away.

Yeah, the screen isn't great from different viewing angles, but you're always looking at it dead on so it's not a big issue. My iPad 3 was weird looking from the sides of it, but I still have it to this day and haven't noticed since I first discovered it.