Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
If true:
As widely suspected, Apple will continue to sell the iPad2. At the event, Apple will announce iPad 2 price drop, effective immediately. That way they can continue to sell the iPad2 in the gap between announcement and availability of the iPad3. Although some buyers will obviously wait for the new model, they'll get plenty of oomph out of people snapping up the newly cost-reduced iPad2.

Sounds great. I hope it's true.

teemast

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
iPad 3 okay, but when will the next gen iMacs be announced?

I fear my iMac is limping towards its finish line and the Buyer's Guide here in MacRumors says "Don't Buy! Updates Soon." But what -- and I know it's an impossibility to predict in Apple World -- is "soon"? It's a watching and waiting (and praying, believe me!), game.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Doesn't sound right. Surely Apple isn't going to punt away all those Valentines sales. Ha. Ha.

Seriously... too close to Xmas. People are just now starting to pay those bills off. Mid March to Early April is always a good launch time b/c it's far enough from the holiday bills and close enough to the spring buying season (Easter, Graduation, Mother's Day, Father's Day, "I need a new geek toy" day -- my favorite because I don't have to depend on anyone to get me what I want).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the report is still suggesting March availability of the iPad 3-- just an earlier announcement than most would expect. I somehow doubt a January / February announcement has ever hurt Apple's sales ;) (What too early an announcement could do is slow iPad 2 sales down-- that's the only downside I can see.)

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Don't want to jump the gun, but it would be cool if iOS 6 was also announced alongside the next iPad meaning a potential back to the summer release of the next iPhone. Either way I can't wait.

You jumped the gun :) iOS 5.1 isn’t finished yet and iOS5 is less than 4 months old at this point. I would think the iPhone move to October is permanent, with the buzz on the iPod almost nil Apple needed a “tentpole” event near the end of the year to balance out their schedule: iPad spring / WWDC summer / iPhone fall.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
it does make sense to have the event a month early to give developers time to develop apps for the retina display. what would you rather have? announced in late february and released in early march with no apps that are retina display quality?

But it isn't like the current apps won't work on a "retina" display. That's the whole point of doubling the resolution! All Apple has to do is build in support for "doubling" the resolution when the App is built for 1024 x 768 and instantly it looks the same on the iPad 3 as it does on the iPad 2. Over time the developers will add support, but it isn't needed from Day 1. Further, Apple will have most of it's core apps already updated for the higher resolution so they can show off the new display.

Besides I guarentee many of the big developers are already aware. Apple showed off the power of the iPad 2 by showing a version of Infinity Blade that none of us knew about, so it isn't like (at least some) developers aren't aware of the new display.....

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
You jumped the gun :) iOS 5.1 isn’t finished yet and iOS5 is less than 4 months old at this point. I would think the iPhone move to October is permanent, with the buzz on the iPod almost nil Apple needed a “tentpole” event near the end of the year to balance out their schedule: iPad spring / WWDC summer / iPhone fall.

Exactly. This way the iPad gets the new version of the A# chip and when demand begins to slow for the iPad, they can move production of the A# to the iPhone. Otherwise you have to products only spaced about 3 months apart demanding the same resources....

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Because of the display alone (much less everything else coming), the difference between 2 and 3 will be much, much bigger than the difference between 1 and 2. 2 was like a 1S. 3 is the one we've all been waiting for.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
Doesn't sound right. Surely Apple isn't going to punt away all those Valentines sales. Ha. Ha.

Seriously... too close to Xmas. People are just now starting to pay those bills off. Mid March to Early April is always a good launch time b/c it's far enough from the holiday bills and close enough to the spring buying season (Easter, Graduation, Mother's Day, Father's Day, "I need a new geek toy" day -- my favorite because I don't have to depend on anyone to get me what I want).

Lol, you really think Apple cares (maybe just about the day the use to introduce the new iPad) and the people that were smart enough to wait care one bit? Just sayin'

I've been waiting for months.

Last edited:

Rothgarr

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
Anyone else worried how crappy graphics will look until all assets have been updated to super hi-rez?

Especially websites. The text will look super sharp but all images will have that blurry pixel-doubled look. And I don't think many sites will optimize their images for hd displays for years to come until desktops start using hd displays...

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I call BS on this rumor

I call BS on this rumor, what benefit would Apple get from announcing the product a month before its launch? For new products, makes perfect sense; but for updates, why burn your existing generation for three extra weeks?

abhimat.gautam

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Makes sense. It might help developers (and perhaps web designers) prepare their applications for the release.

globalhemp

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
United States
Beginning of Fiscal Quarter

I don't have the stats to back this up, ... but from memory over past 15 years, Apple releases new products at the Beginning of the next Fiscal Quarter. The current Quarter is Jan-Mar. Therefore, expect to see a new iPad available the first week of April, rather than anytime in March.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the report is still suggesting March availability of the iPad 3-- just an earlier announcement than most would expect. I somehow doubt a January / February announcement has ever hurt Apple's sales ;) (What too early an announcement could do is slow iPad 2 sales down-- that's the only downside I can see.)

Except for the original iPad and iPhone, the period between announcement and launch has been about 10 days. Just based on recent history Apple won't announce in early Feb and then put them on sale 4-6 weeks later. That would put a serious hit on revenue for no reason.

Lol, you really think Apple cares and the people that were smart enough to wait care one bit? Just sayin'

I've been waiting for months.

Do I think Apple cares about missing sales? Yes. Do I think 99% of the population don't keep track of Apple's historical refresh windows? No. In fact, I know it because even people here bellyache "But I just bought...." when a refresh is announced. It has zero to do with being "smart," it's just not their thing to monitor everything Apple anymore than most people here monitor everything NFL even though they might casually follow a team. Your waiting months doesn't make you smart, just patient.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Except for the original iPad and iPhone, the period between announcement and launch has been about 10 days. Just based on recent history Apple won't announce in early Feb and then put them on sale 4-6 weeks later. That would put a serious hit on revenue for no reason.
Well, I wouldn't complain about an early Feb. announcement with mid-to-late February availability ;) But yeah. I'm plenty skeptical of this rumor myself.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
please put Siri out of Beta or add more features ... i havent used it since the day i got it. it needs to understand stuff like "turn off wifi" etc

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
No.

And when it is announced, it most definitely won't be called iPhone 5!

Why not?

You think they are going to skip 5 and call it the iPhone 6 because it's the 6th iPhone?

That would make no sense from a marketing perspective. Apple is better than that. I'm pretty sure it will be the iPhone 5, and if it's not it definitely won't be iPhone 6.

They called the 4th iPhone the iPhone 4 because there was so much confusion with 3G (data generation vs phone generation) and they couldn't release an iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and then an iPhone 3. People assume a bigger number and longer name means the phone is newer/better, and that's logical.

Now that we're out of that 3G confusion, I'm pretty sure the number will only designate the physical design generation.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
i'm finally ready to jump on the iPad bandwagon, even though i never really used to see the need for it. to be honest, i have an iPhone and i still don't see my need for an iPad - i just want one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.