iPad 3 need reboot to reconnect to 3G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alphaola, Apr 4, 2012.

1. alphaola macrumors newbie

I just noticed my iPad on tmobile uk lost connection while underground but it won't connect back until I reboot it. Any suggestions guys.

2. Etiene macrumors regular

I've had a similar problem on 3, but have found that deactivating and deactivating the cellular data in Settings can solve the problem.

Not sure what's going on, but most of my day I have quite low signal (1-2 bars) and I suspect that some trouble reaquiring the network and failing to retry is to blame.

3. jcborden macrumors member

There is similar, much longer, thread on this. We have generally come to the conclusion that it is a bug in iOS 5.1.

I have spoken to Apple support who got me to reset the ipad as new rather than restore and it made no difference. Now they want me to get a new SIM card from t-Mobile saying that there are new cards... Don't believe it myself as quite a lot of people are suffering this and on different networks.

What if have found is that it seems to be when swtiching from wifi to 3G, e.g after using wifi at home then going out. So far I have found that leaving mobile data off until you want to use it and then switchig off again seems to make it work without having to restart or reset network settings...

4. alphaola, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

alphaola thread starter macrumors newbie

Am on T-Mobile and I got my ipad just less than 12 days ago so I don't think it's the sim card as i got it with the ipad from currys with free £10 credit

5. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Toggling Airplane mode On then back Off usually clears the problem for me without rebooting.

6. jcborden macrumors member

For me switching airplane mode on/off doesn't work. I normally just get a message saying "could not activate cellular data network" or in Safari could not display the page. Only thing to resolve is a restart or clear network settings.

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I had this problem on O2 and eventually set my account up again as a new account (but with same login and password, which retained my carried forward data allowance). Since then it seems to have been OK.