iPad iPad 3 no sound works through speakers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by domm29, Dec 16, 2013.

1. domm29 macrumors newbie

Title should also be "works through headphones not speakers!! "

hi, bought an ipad with a smashed screen with the intent of repairing , only to find the sound doesnt work through the internal speaker.

it works fine with headphones but not the speaker.

When i turned on the ipad and went into setting>sound i played a ringtone and the sound came out of the internal speaker for around half a second then cut out and its not worked since.

I dont know if to try a new speaker ? ive restored twice and its nothing to do with the switch on the side and the volume is up, i also dont believe the ipad thinks its in headphone mode.

Any more ideas ? thanks

2. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

If it's not two late I would this return it and get a new iPad 3

3. Aznteabags macrumors newbie

This might sound crazy but I had the same issue with my old iPad 3. The fix was quite easy and I am not even sure why or how it worked but it did. Like a charm in fact. I looked the issue up and found if you take a old toothbrush and put a very little bit of rubbing alcohol on it and clean the bottom port where you charge it then do a Hard reset it will work again. It did in mine. I think thats one of the benefits of the new lighting adapter. When dust or dirt gets collected in the old ones it kills the external speakers for some reason. I hope this helped you out. And remember make sure not to use too much rubbing alcohol.