iPad 3 on iOS 8.1- How is it?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by lovewd, Oct 20, 2014.

1. lovewd, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

The title says it all. I'm wondering whether I should update my iPad from 7.1.2 or not

Edit- I updated and it's fine. Some people have been having issues, but I guess I'm exempt from those issues.

2. humar macrumors 6502

humar

I have no problems with 8.1.
    Previous version was a lot slower.

3. chanc macrumors member

chanc

That sounds promising ! iOS 8.0.x on my iPad 3 was horrendously slow.

4. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Safari is still slow for me. Chokes up every so often Also. There's slight lag a whilst typing this post. I wish I could go backs to iOS 7

5. Indy2424 macrumors member

Yeah iOS 8 was very slow on the 3 and almost unbearable. I was hoping they made some improvements on 8.1 for the 3.

6. 2IS Suspended

It's ****. As was iOS 8.0 and 8.0.2 and even iOS 7. They aren't going to make any improvements for a 3 gen old iPad

7. sw6lee macrumors regular

Yes it sucks. But it's not just iPad 3 that is still laggy in iOS 8.1. iPad mini 2 is also still laggy and choppy in transition animations in iOS 8.1. Apple didn't address any performance issues. They'll probably take like 6 months since iOS 8 release date to make it smoother, just like they did for 7.1.

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

Mine sucked right after the update. But I reserved comment and judgment until after Spotlight had a few hours to do its thing. It ran like a dog rigght away.

About 5 hours after the update, my VZW LTE iPad is running 8.1 just fine on LTE or wifi. I'm a happy camper. FWIW, I also own a VZW iPad Air - both are quite usable.

9. wannabelean macrumors 6502

No dont. A friend who upgraded said his iPad 3 pretty much became unusable after upgrading to ios8.

10. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

8 slowed the device and wifi sucked. Would get 3 mBits/second out of 12 DSL. Did the 8.1 and am getting 12 now. I have the ability to answer the phone and use SMS text relay. I would upgrade.

11. chaleyer macrumors newbie

chaleyer

Just upgraded my 3Gb wifi +3g. ~67Mb download.
    It now seems more fluid to me, and I'm happy with the result. But then... I do have a new Ipad Air 2 128Gb in a truck heading my way ;-)))

12. Solver macrumors 6502a

One word: Acceptable
    Although, the keyboard lags unacceptably sometimes. I've just fiddled with some convenience settings to see if I can reduce this.

13. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Compared to iOS 8.0 and 8.02, 8.1 feels a bit smoother and more responsive.

14. 2IS Suspended

That's the placebo effect they added to 8.1

That said, if you turn the option on to reduce transparency, it improves performance a nice bit on iPad 3. It's uglier, but more usable.

15. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Animations such as returning to the home screen don't stutter like they used to (which was seemingly all the time), and the iPad now properly adjusts the screen when you change orientation. Previously, it would either take forever, or I had to flick the orientation lock on and then off again.

16. chanc macrumors member

chanc

This is weird. First of all, iOS 8.0.2 was horrible on my iPad 3. I "tried" to upgrade to 8.1 today. But both times, it started the upgrade process (download and verify update etc) but it didn't actually install 8.1.

So I'm still on 8.0.2 but I tried updating twice. But my iPad 3 is WAY more usable now before I attempted the update to 8.1. No idea what happened but iPad 3 is now working fine on 8.0.2 when previously the lags were driving me crazy.

17. Solver macrumors 6502a

FIX! Got the Safari keyboard lag to near acceptable. :)
    When on a Java page with lots of text fields, when typing in one it would lag by seconds.

I exited Safari
    Went to Settings > Safari > Advanced and turned off Java
    I then removed Safari from the task switcher
    Restarted Safari and Exited
    Removed Safari again from the task switcher
    Went to Settings > Safari > Advanced and turned on Java
    Restarted Safari
    (the above steps may possibly be reduced)

Now my iPad 3 is typing noticeably faster in Safari (not quite snappy though.)

18. rbart macrumors regular

It's really better than iOS8.0.2.
    Safari has been improved (faster, smoother, no stall when touching a link).
    There are lags, it's not butter smooth and slower than iOS7.1, but it's a real improvement compared to iOS8.

19. Merkie macrumors 68020

Better than 8.0.2.

Still a lot worse than 7.1.2

20. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

So far 8.1 on my iPad 3 feels okay (updated through iTunes). Unless you A/B 2 actual iPads with different OS versions, it seems like it can be hard to tell for sure the difference. It wasn't perfect before on iOS 7, so if/when I get some lag on iOS 8 I don't know if it's much worse than before, or about the same.

Just for kicks, I just did an 'Erase all settings'. We'll see, but so far I am fine with iOS 8.1.