iPad 3 on the USA

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zirosky, Apr 3, 2012.

1. zirosky macrumors regular

Hello,

I am one of the european (french) who tries to buy an iPad on the Usa because of the change euro/dollars. Next week I will be in New York and I have some questions to ask you, because I am still uncertain between the 32Gb Wifi or 32gb Wifi+4G.

1. I would not take the 4G because I already have an iPhone 4S with a data plan, and with it I can share the 3G connection to the iPad with the HotSport. It is really possible or there are somethings to know before?!

2. If I choose the Wifi+4G one, I have to prefer the AT&T one or the Verizon (because I knew that some models of the iPad 2 didn't work here in Europe)? And I have to add some more $ to pay for the AT&T/Verizon sim card or it is free and included?

Have you other remarks to tell me? Thanks!

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

For international use, there's no difference between the AT&T and Verizon. Both will accept foreign MicroSIMS. In the US, the AT&T comes with an AT&T microSIM.

3. zirosky, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

thanks but i mast pay something for the microsim, like a plan or not? Because in France u have to pay 8€ for the microsim with one month of data plan...

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Yes, you have to pay, but it varies by data use:

250MB for $14.99, 3GB for $30, and 5GB for $50.

5. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

I must pay them? I cannot take it without a microsim?

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

It is sold with a micrsoSIM. You only need to pay for service if you activate it. If you don't want service then you don't have to pay. The microSIM comes with the iPad just in case you ever decide you want to pay for service.

7. wpotere Guest

Not sure, but aren't they locked to the carrier?

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

No. On a practical level they are "locked" in the US because Verizon's 3G is CDMA and AT&T is GSM. On an international level, they are compatible with any GSM network provided you have a locally-purchased microSIM.

9. wpotere Guest

Thanks, I wasn't sure and would hate for this guy to get it back only to find out it wouldn't work on his network.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

It comes with a Micro-SIM but you are not required to activate a data plan. Both the AT&T and Verizon versions have the same overseas 3G support. Both will accept a Micro-SIM from any carrier. It's been confirmed that even in the US the Verizon one will accept an active AT&T SIM and work on AT&T's 3G network.